1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SURVIVOR SOUTH PACIFIC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Sep 22, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

I found out I know someone who knows the Hantz family. Kid-sat this one. Says this is all a game on his part.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Cochran's behavior explains a lot about why nerds are insecure. Or maybe they selected him because he's the poster boy for it.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I thought they could have played that differently.
    I think Jim and Keith could have confronted Oz and told him what was up.
    That strategy gives you a chance for a couple of outcomes:
    Oz gives the idol to his GF to save her. Cochran gets voted out but the idol's out of play again.
    Oz is angry but possibly stays with the alliance.

Keeping Oz in the loop held some possibilities that could be positive.
    By sandbagging him, you limit the positive outcomes.

4. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I don't understand why the other two thought voting Dawn made them safe Ozzie's potential wrath. Morons. Did they really think Ozzie was going to say "well, you didn't vote the way you said you would which led to my girl getting kicked out. But you didn't vote for her, so we are still cool."

What a bunch of idiots. IF you are going to backstab, backstab. Don't half ass it.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Ozzy needs to work a lot harder in pulling his tribe together. Rob wouldn't have let this happen because he wouldn't have let anyone on his tribe feel isolated enough to need to do this. Even before last night's vote Ozzy had already written off nearly half his tribe and done very little to disguise that.

I was going to say he also is a poor judge of who and how much to trust, but then remembered he made the final in his first season and only barely lost to Yul, to dominated socially and strategically that season. It, however, was definitely an issue in his second stint, when he was voted out early with an idol.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agreed ... kind of an "If you're not with me, you're against me" mentality. Doesn't matter that they didn't go against Ozzy, they didn't go WITH him, and that's going to be a problem.

However, it did make things interesting moving forward. If they voted with Cochran, Jim and Dawn, they would have become the two odd ducks in an alliance of five and been picked off eventually. Instead, they created a situation where there are three factions: 3, 2 and 1.

Ozzy also provides a blueprint for any future players, if you compare him with Boston Rob. Rob never really seemed to spend all his time with any one person. He got to know every person in his alliance of six and spent time with all of them. He also always worked around camp. He was bee moving from flower to flower at all times.

Ozzy made the mistake of getting too close to one player, not putting any effort out to engage the others and being lazy. He thought that by catching fish and just "being" Ozzy, he would coast. He overestimated the strength of his reputation.

That said, he still has the idol, and that gives him a chance to recognize his mistake and overcome it.

Jim made probably the best play of the game so far, by putting the seed of doubt in Keith's head when he said that if Ozzy thinks Coach should vote out his strongest player before the merge, that Ozzy would probably be looking to do the same to Keith or Jim. It got the desired result to swing things into Jim's favor.

7. bigpern23

Not sure what made me just think of it, but I'm surprised no one on Survivor has tried the strategy used in a season of Big Brother, where an alliance of four players each made a side alliance with one other player. That allowed them to control eight votes without needing to control eight people. Each person only needed to sway one person to do what the core four wanted done. Then when it got down to eight players, they each voted out their +1.

8. bigpern23

If Ozzy pulls this off, it's the best move in the history of Survivor. If he doesn't, it's the worst ever. No in between, no gray.

It's a brilliant ploy if it goes according to plan, particularly the part about Cochran becoming a double agent.

This sets up the rest of the season nicely. :D

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

What? Damn. I need to catch up. I was rooting for the squirmy law student but figured he was already gone. And I love Ozzy.

10. bigpern23

Definitely one of the most awe-inspiringly bold moves I've ever seen, with a chance for some real subterfuge going forward. I'm sure it won't work because so much can go wrong, damn, if it does, it'll be amazing.

I highly recommend you catch up.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Enough with all the praying. This episode should have been on TBN.
    I think God has more to worry about than who wins a reality TV show.
    Other than that, a great episode and bold move by Ozzy.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agreed on all counts. Hell, I thought I was watching the Passion play with Ozzy playing Jesus willing to suffer for the sins of others. And I'm sorry - some guy like Coach tells me to get down on my knees? Uh, no. And he was punished, forced to sit through that awful looking Sandler movie. I almost can't figure out who to feel worse for, Sandler for having to use Survivor to pimp his movie, or Survivor for having to pretend like it's a good movie.
    Almost as big of a challenge as acting like giving away a Pontiac Aztec was a great prize.

Still, the first decent and interesting episode of the year. I always love challenges where contestants hit their heads against posts.
    I have a feeling they're not merging right away. I think the producers have some leeway to screw around with their schedule. Would be even better if instead of a merge, they do the "re-draft" where they mix up the teams for a couple of rounds before the merge. Hell, break them into three tribes. The show is always at its best when it demands players trust each other, especially when it would go against their best instincts.

Draft saved Draft deleted