1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survivor: One World

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Feb 16, 2012.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Who's watching and what did you think of the first episode?

Seems to be a lot of eye candy on both sides.

I don't blame the guys for taking the victory; I'm sure the women would have, too.

Watching the team dynamics reminded me of what high school coaches who have coached both boys and girls have said: Guys don't have to like each other to compete together but women are more likely to carry off-field dissension onto the field.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it yet, but I'll be watching.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As far as game play - I think the season should be a vast improvement by encouraging cross-tribal alliances early on. No redemption island.
    As far as casting though - it looks like they went for a bunch of stereotypes. If this wasn't a reality show, GLAAD would be protesting the depiction of the gay contestant. Why do I think he will find the immunity necklace "too adorable" not to wear around camp?
    Glad to see the men's tribe not getting suckered too soon by the ladies - but it will happen.
    I've got to hand it to Probst though - he gets the ladies bitching about each other before they realized they were all safe. I get the impression even if he said "You're all safe" first thing - THEY STILL would have started bitching about each other. They do know this is Survivor and not a Real Housewives: Samoa right?

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

My initial thoughts:

— I decided the gay dude was toast, but halfway reverse course on that. The idol could be huge, especially if none of the other guys talk to him long enough to discover he has it. Then again, if one of the guys finds an idol and realizes they have to give it to a girl, they'll realize a guy probably has one, and there's really only one person who that could be...

Also, I wonder how many versions of that Taylor Swift line he crossed out before deciding that was the sassy comment he would make first once he got to the island.

— The One World concept seems like a direct result of strong trial alliances running to the end the last two seasons. So far, so good. I think the "we're not going to be nice to the guys/girls" crap will cool as we roll along here and hopefully the last two or three weeks of the game will be more unpredictable.

— Speaking of stereotypes, do all midgets have bowler hats, or does it just seem that way?

— The guy leader kind of looks like Awesome from Chuck.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, no shortage of eye candy on this one.

I like the two tribes, one beach thing, you just know there will be people from both sides trying to infiltrate the other.

You just know that guy alliance that likes to walk about with no shirt on is going to implode in a load of dick swinging, especially if one of them becomes friendly with Chelsea.

Good Rupert-esque move by that guy on the men's team stealing the women's stuff at the beginning. Good heel move.

Nothing like the gay guy perpetuating every stereotype of gay people. I am sick of him already.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Looks like it will be an interesting season and, yeah, I think the One World idea is a way to get away from having one tribe decimate the other they way they have the last few seasons. Not sure if it'll work the way the guys are being so dickish, but yeah, eventually I think the tits will get to them and they'll start get friendly with the girls. :)

I don't think it was a great idea for the guys to take the win the way they did. They had a two-person lead by the time it was stopped. Yeah, anything can happen, but it looked like pretty much a slam dunk. They could have won the challenge and built a modicum of goodwill (and most likely at some point, one of them is going to need it).

Funny, too, the girl who started shit at Tribal is the one who said "If I find out one of these boys like me, they're going to get played." She seems so completely unlikable, I doubt she gets the chance to play anyone. I liked how the Asian girl shut her down at tribal.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

See, I don't buy that "good will" is much of a factor in the game, at least not late. I thought it was weird when Jeff said that. If I had to say there was a precedent, it would be that the game usually needs to trump personal relationships. If you start keeping people around because they're nice or you like them, you're not going to be around long yourself.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I cringed when she got all irate during Tribal and said "If we were in Chicago..." Save your ghetto trash talk for your friends at Starbucks. She got pwned pretty good there by Christina. Certainly your Chicago homies won't like that!

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I just feel like they had more to gain by finishing the challenge than they had to lose. They were pretty well in control and were going to win anyway. The one guy even said, "we just felt like we were going to win anyway." So, if you're going to win anyway, why not just do it and maybe not be complete dicks. Later in the game it could help you. I doubt it could have hurt the guys.

That part totally smacked of, "Oh my god, hold me back! Somebody hold me back! No really, somebody hold me back because I'm not going to do shit and it'll look better for me if later I can say, 'It's a good thing you held me back!'"

I'm not sure how I feel about the guys vs. girls nature of the show as it pertains to challenges. Undoubtedly they'll have some challenges that don't emphasize athleticism, but really, the guys should win every challenge that relies on strength, speed and/or endurance.

It seems like you'll see the explanations of challenges and be able to tell pretty quickly whether the girls have a shot to win or not.

10. I don't see how the guys continuing to compete was going to help them later on. Since it was the very first challenge, there really was no way the girls could pin the decision on any one guy to hold it against him. Likewise, if they had continued, who would get the credit for it later on? Plus, it was pretty obvious the injured chick wasn't coming back. So really, in the grand scheme, it didn't mean much of anything.

The biggest thing I took from last night: the end of Redemption Island. Thank God.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The women even knew it was obvious. Their only argument was "I thought you were men and the gentlemanly thing to do would be to keep playing." Right. As someone said, this isn't Real Housewives, and it isn't The Bachelor, either.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

please let chicago be the first female voted off

Draft saved Draft deleted