1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survivor: Island of the Idols running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Oct 3, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I have a more vested interest than usual in this season as one of the contestants, Elizabeth Beisel, is a former Olympian who I covered for a few years. She was a good kid and a hell of a competitor, so I'm interested to see how she'll do. I imagine she's going to dominate the water challenges.

I haven't caught up yet this week, but the opener was interesting with Boston Rob and Sandra Diaz's role. I think it's odd they don't directly affect the game, and I think I'd rather see them competing than coaching, but it's an interesting concept at the least.

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Pilot likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They are two of the best players to ever play the game - how they get people to trust them is beyond me. Rob seemed to always stick around because people figured he wasn't likable enough to win, and people drafted behind him. Sandra always stuck around because nobody saw her as a threat.
    I wanted a camera on that guy who was voted out -seeing his reaction when he realized there would be no second chance this year.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I kept thinking about starting a thread, so thanks!

I’m loving the season so far. The Rob/Sandra stuff is working far better than I feared. They’re a lot of fun, plus it’s a great way to lead us into the spring’s Season 40, all-winners (featuring both of them.)

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I think the Rob/Sandra thing worked better in the second episode than the first. Is it my imagination or are their fewer hardbodies on the show this year?

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I think so. This is the first season with a new casting director. Hardcore fans and former players were all super pissed when the previous person was fired but this is an excellent cast, IMO, and diverse in age and experience, something lacking in some recent seasons when everyone seemed to be either a superfan or a model/wannabe actor.

I think some of this seasons ppl had been bobbing around in the potential player pool for a few years but nevertheless, it’s a good group so far.

6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I don’t understand why both people who have gone to Idol Island lied about what happens there. They know at least one more person will be going since they pulled the names for the next visitors so I would think they’d guess a lot more people would end up on the island. I get why the woman who got an immunity idol kept that a secret but what’s the harm sharing the general point of it? They both used the same lie, too, didn’t they?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yeah - especially since its a random draw about who goes - the lie makes no sense. Covering up learning a skill or a tip - I get though.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

This season has turned into woke Survivor, with racism and sexism taking the forefront in recent episodes.
    I know I'm writing as an old, white male, but Jamal's reaction to the "durag" comment seemed a bit much for what seemed like a minor slight. Than he doubled back and insulted the women, even using the word "girls."
    Probst eats this stuff up and while the racism talk was organic, he stoked the #metoo discussion in Wednesday's episode.

Draft saved Draft deleted