1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

survivor - heroes vs. villains

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

How is that possible? Who is paying them $2 million to do anything if they're not actually on a show?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I figured it was all for the show, but I still like to make snide comments about it.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The most famous reality stars can usually make enough on appearances and speeches to make a living.

I read on one of the reality sites that former Survivor winners like Richard Hatch and Tina Wesson make between $10K-$20K a speech. Hatch, I can kind of understand, given his notoriety and the interest that people still have in him with the prison sentence and the fact that for better or worse, as the first winner, remains a bit of a pop culture icon. It blows my mind that anyone would have any interest in someone like Wesson.

Boston Rob has five appearances on network reality shows. Amber has four and that's not counting their nationally televised wedding. Hell, they made a Boston Rob reference on 30 Rock a couple weeks back. They're both well-known enough that they can probably milk it for another 10 years or so and be set for life. I would think they're the exceptions, but I would be curious what percentage of Survivor contestants have to go back to normal jobs.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I would love to be able to tell people I had won a huge hand against Boston Rob; however, the difference in our income levels means we probably would never be sitting at the same table together and we probably have very different ideas about what constitutes a huge hand.

Also, the Boston Red Sox suck.

5. Mizzougrad96

I met him at a sporting event shortly after All-Stars aired. A local CBS affiliate brought him in for a contest of "Watch a game with Boston Rob." and they made him available for interviews before the game. One of my co-workers was in the stadium reading the release and laughing at the absurdity of it and I was running to the room where he was. Only two of us cared enough to talk to him and the other person, I'm pretty sure was forced to be there.

I talked to him for five minutes. He seemed pretty cool. I got ragged on for about a year by the other beat writers, which I completely deserved. :D

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think most people would be more willing to learn from/be inspired from someone who did well in Survivor than others who do it for a living.
    I can't think of many industries that wouldn't want to book a speech titled
    "How to screw people over, stab them in the back, and still get them to give you $1 Million dollars."
    a) act like you are their friend
    b) let them know if they don't stick with you they won't survive.
    c) when you don't need them any more, toss them aside

Wait a second - I think some newspaper execs have heard this speech.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Well, if you think about it, every week someone gets voted off but the tribe is still expected to do the same amount of work regardless. Sounds a lot like the "More with less" line of thinking. :)

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Fairly sure they play up the "surviving on a tropical island" angle a bit more ...

9. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I think when it comes to being ruthless, most newspaper execs would make Russell look like Mary Poppins.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

They should be set for life now. I would be, if I were them.

11. Mizzougrad96

If they've made $10 million total, which may even be a conservative estimate, they certainly should be.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

FWIW, I just tore through Survivor: Exile Island.

What a bland season.

Loved seeing more of Danielle and Cirie and it was interesting to see a tribe actually stick together but, man, the excitement of the last couple years just was not there.

Maybe it was just because there wasn't that one dominant personality I've become used to the last couple seasons (Coach/Russell) or maybe it was because there were a lot of useless contestants this time around, but for some reason I found that this season kind of dragged a bit.

For those of you who have seen all (or most) of the seasons, what would you rank as the most exciting? I don't mean what was the best, I mean the most exciting. The ones with the most dramatic moments, biggest blindsides, e.t.c.

I've seen all the seasons that are currently on DVD, Exile Island and the last three seasons and, based on that, I've got to put Tocantins, Samoa and Heroes vs. Villians right up there with the best of the best. All have had great characters, awesome drama and while I may not have felt the best player won, it held my attention from start to finish.

Oh well, time to plop in Cook Islands. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted