1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Survivor: China" running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by terrier, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Ashley isn't really a pro women's wrestler so much as she is a model who won a contest to become a "diva" who then got limited wrestling training so she could halfway play the part.

Chyna would have been an appropriate choice for oh so many reasons.

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

She didn't say she wasn't a religious person, she said she was a follower of Christ....and yeah, she earned points with the gravedigger. I think she's a pretty sincere, consistent person of faith - not a hypocrite.

3. The Gospel According To Tiki Torch.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

FenPhe...uh, Fenian, you don't watch this show. It's on when you're steaming over Hannity and Colmes.

5. Saint Lou

Saint Lou Member

The gravedigger should get an NFL tryout after this season.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

According to the transcripts she said "I'm not a religious person, but I have a relationship with Jesus Christ, and the only time I'm gonna put my face on the floor is for him.''

The first part totally contradicts the second part of that statement.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I don't know about that. People here claim to have a relationship with God without being "religious" which is to have faith without church.

8. Saint Lou

Saint Lou Member

How many of them are Christian Radio talk show hosts whose hobbies include reading and studying scripture?

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor15/survivors/leslie.shtml

I don't have a problem with her leaving the ceremony, but don't do it because of your religious beliefs and then claim you're not religious.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Exactly.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Either it was a slip of the tongue or she clearly distinguishes being spiritual from being religious.

11. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

The gravedigger (James Clement) is from my area. I watched him play high school football and he went on to play for UL Lafayette for a brief period. He's also a good friend and former college teammate of "Boo" Bernis of the last Survivor.

I expect as long as Clement can keep winning challenges, he'll stick around for a while, like Boo did.

I'm sure the female viewers will be rooting for him to remain on the show.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

A little more about Mullet Lady:
    http://www.telegram.com/article/20070920/NEWS/709200789/1116

I have the feeling Leslie (Christian talk show host) wasn't intending to tell anyone her profession (as have past lawyers, football players, etc.). Her revulsion at the temple kind of "outed" her. no matter how she denies it.
    Actually, some people over 50 have done well - I can think of at least five 50-plus players who've made final 3, and a couple of them even won the final immunity challenge (which usually involves endurance, most notably The Scoutmaster outlasting Johnny Fairplay). If you pull your weight (or at least put in the effort) at challenges and camp, and know how to read your tribemates, you can get to merge and be safe for a long time as the challenge studs and tribe leaders become the targets.
    According to a couple of Survivor fan and pro wrestling sites, producer Mark Burnett went to Vince McMahon and asked if any WWE stars might make a good Survivor contestant, and got pointed to Ashley. Word about her got out because a WWE and Survivor fan was chatting with Brian London at an airport in May and asked him how he liked working with Ashley, at which point he mentioned she was being written out of Smackdown so she could do Survivor. That slip of the lip came close to getting London fired.
    And it just so happens the CW is part of the CBS/Viacom family...

Draft saved Draft deleted