1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survivor: Blood Vs. Water

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by partain, Sep 3, 2013.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Not to thread jack, but we had an older woman in our circulation area who lasted something like three episodes, but has made a cottage industry out of being in "Survivor."

She spoke at an elementary school and apologized for not being able to have an autographed picture for every student, all who were rolling their eyes and wondering who the old lady was.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm often fascinated by this. I hear about players who I can barely remember making decent livings doing appearances for almost 10 years and then you hear about Sue Hawk working at a Smoothie place in Vegas.

The doctor from the first season showed up at a local car dealership about 3-4 years after the first season and there were 1,500 people waiting there for him. Granted, he went on to do something on TV, but still...

I remember reading something about Rob and Amber and it said they routinely get deals like "$50K to go to a Target opening for three hours."

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Who watched? What are your thoughts?

I was surprised the returnees didn't get rid of Colton on the initial vote. We had to fast forward through his crying speech. No need to watch that drivel from someone so despicable last time he was on.

I wonder how many votes will be based on pissing of the remaining loved one.

4. Mizzougrad96

I thought it was surprisingly well-executed. Rupert taking the place of his wife was really good drama, although one could have predicted this is exactly what would happen when they vote someone out without actually going to tribal.

Survivor probably paid a small fortune to have Rupert come back and he's not going to last long on Redemption Island. He's a good player, but he's never been known for winning challenges. I'm guessing he'll be gone next week.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I had missed this thread so was pleasantly suprised to see Survivor on last night.

A few thoughts; I don't get the public love for Rupert. I always thought that he was a pompous windbag and last night did nothing to change my impression. I laughed when someone mentioned what a good shelter builder he is obviously forgetting when he dug the shelter hole that promptly filled with water. Please go away.

Colton - would rather see him as a racist douche than the crying. I think it is an act to prove how"changed" he is but I could have done with never seeing him again either way.

Gervaise - really, going to talk shit when you almost drowned on the challenge?

Probst - could still do without his commentary, chastising on the challenges.

6. Mizzougrad96

Rupert benefited greatly from feuding in his first season with one of the most despicable players in Reality Show history. The second time he was on, Boston Rob carried him to the Final 4. I thought he did pretty well on Heroes vs. Villains... Didn't Russell do him in?

I think some of the backlash comes from him winning $1 million for doing nothing. I think that was absolutely the reason why his wife was targeted in the first vote.

7. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the first ep., given how much I had read about all the changes (and some of the cast) for this season.

I thought it would be too confusing to keep up with as the game went on, and that the producers are trying to outsmart themselves with some of the new twists.

Came away impressed with some of the players, namely Aras and Vytas and Culpepper's wife (who I liked a lot in "One World", plus she's very easy on the eyes).

Not a fan of Rupert's. He's overexposed, and I thought his decision was a huge mistake in strategy. Hope he and Colton head home in the same episode, preferably next week. Colton's fiance seems nothing like him.

Be interested to see how Tyson fares this season, and I'm still not sure what Gervase was thinking with his triumphant outburst.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Liked the first episode a lot (and the fact they kept Katie and her ... assets around.) Thought it was hilarious that Gervace not only gloated after not only nearly costing his tribe the challenge but nearly drowning and then his douche baggery got his niece tossed off her tribe. Good start although I won't be able to handle much of Colton's act next week. Hopefully he gets the boot right away.

9. Mizzougrad96

I could see Tyson winning this season.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Glad to see it was the show's worst debut ever for the lack of imagination in the concept. And there have already been way too many tears for my tastes and we're only one ep in (watched it on demand). And yet there are a few of the newbies that are interesting, Colton's fiancé, Aras former addict/ex-con brother now a yoga teacher. So with Redemption Island, do they have to stay there until the end of the season and then the "survivor" there is brought back, or can they come back sooner?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Too much contrived emotion.

Rupert's a tool.

Colton's gone from despicable to ridiculous.

Redemption Island sucks.

Loved ones should've voted out the blond girl who blew the puzzle.

Producers will give loved ones fire anyway.

12. Mizzougrad96

I read somewhere that one person comes back right before the tribes merge.

Draft saved Draft deleted