1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survivor: Blood Vs. Water

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by partain, Sep 3, 2013.

1. partain

partain Member

Bringing back Colton apparently.

Oh well, I was looking to dump a few shows this season anyway. He really took being mean and hateful to new levels. You'd think a gay republican from the south would have a little more sympathy for minorities.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like the concept of playing with and against loved ones, but I hate that they are reviving Redemption Island.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've never been one to pooh-pooh a season before it airs or gnash my teeth at returning players, but this season just doesn't interest me. It isn't so much bringing back Colton, or Redemption Island, and I think loved ones is an interesting twist, BUT - would have been more interesting if it wasn't returning players against their loved ones, it would have been more interesting if it wasn't obvious everyone had another connection on the island, it would have been more interesting if there were far fewer returning players, maybe six total.
    The biggest thing I watch the show for is seeing how strangers develop relationships and a social structure, and how that changes as first impressions give way to actual performance, strategy and social skills. This one has the stink of a reunion show.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Rupert again? Really?
    It's his fourth time. Can't the producers find anybody new?

5. Mizzougrad96

I think that's my problem with this season and it's that, it could be so much better with a few tweeks here or there...

I would make everybody play with a member of their immediate family. Mix up the tribes, eliminate Redemption Island and you have another watchable season.

I'll still watch at the beginning of this season, but I have a feeling I'll bail after a few weeks...

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Speaking as a fan, I don't need any twists.
    I like the regular game.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Has there ever been a "regular game?" Seems like every season always has new twists, turns, rules and surprises.

I despise that they're bringing Colton back.

8. Mizzougrad96

I don't mind returning players as long as they don't always do it. I like all-star seasons.

I think as soon as Russell had that season where he found an immunity idol almost every week, they should have gotten rid of it.

Redemption Island was the worst idea this show has ever had.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The first several seasons didn't really have twists.
    I guess the hidden immunity idols were a twist.

I just don't have any use for redemption island. I think it ruins the season.
    I've got no use for everybody in a single camp.
    I've got no use for returning players anymore.

I enjoy two teams of new players with two challenges - reward and immunity - per episode.

10. Mizzougrad96

I guess now that I think about it, I would rather have regular seasons with the occasional all-stars mixed in every 10 seasons (five years) or so. I think that was one of the problems Survivor and Big Brother for that matter, had in recent seasons was that too many returning players for too many seasons made the pool to have an occasional player return seem a bit more shallow. It does get a bit absurd when some people play a fourth time, although, I didn't mind so much the season Boston Rob won.

They need to focus on new players for awhile so people can actually care enough to want someone to come back for a second time. They haven't done that in a few years, and I don't think there is anyone in this cast who anyone is dying to see again.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agreed. And it's interesting that last season Probst said he didn't think we'd see any more players from before All-Stars (I think that was roughly the halfway point in terms of season, right?). He also said, initially, that Survivor would never bring back Colton because he had simply gone too far. Sadly, he soon walked back on that statement and here we are with a season of too many returning players, including the worst human being the show has ever featured.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

At least we won't have to watch Russell Hantz and his idiot nephew.

I'm sure they were lined up before Brandon's meltdown last season.

Draft saved Draft deleted