1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survivor B thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Who's your five all-time players?

Richard Hatch (Survivor 1), he created the original map for success.
    Tom Westman (Palau) Dominated the game, but had some really dumb and weak players.

Vecepia Towery (Marquesas): Made the last-minute deal in the Final 3, then reneged on it and still won.

Ethan Zahn (Africa): Athleticism and low profile.

Rob Mariano (All-Stars and 6): Played everyone, just ran out of cards.

Rupert from All-Stars 1 and the one prior to that. It's either him, or Johnny Fairplay for biggest bluff.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I don't remember Rupert's big bluff?

I liked Terry from a couple seasons ago a lot. He had the whole world stacked against him from the merge on and he still damn near won.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Rupert was awesome. Hatch wrote the gameplan on how to play it (catch a lot of fish, establish a solid alliance and play people against each other). I like the way Earl played it a year ago, even if he had to throw Yau man to the side and Tom was the man (didn't he win like the last five immunity challenges?). Was Terry the guy who was the last man left and still won? That was clutch. I think the lesson is to burn people early so they have time to get over it.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Terry was the fighter pilot. He got screwed on the numbers at the merge and they picked off all of his allies, but he first found the Idol, then won I think every challenge up until the final 3, when some girl won a balancing one and took Ares (or something like that) to the final two.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Rupert wasn't the big bluff...it was Fairplay. Either of them are right there in my top five. Rupert did pull the equipment theft on Day 1 of Marquesas, or whatever one he was on prior to All-Stars.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Hatch played the game so well, then played himself when he believed some staffer about not having to pay taxes on his earnings. What a fool.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Richard Hatch made Survivor what it is today. And he did it without any blueprint to follow.

He is far and away the best player ever. Yul and Ozzie, in the same season, are 2 and 3.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Johnny Fairplay - the man knew his role, and played it with glee. Survivor has not seen the last of him (hint, hint).
    Other faves:
    Rupert - it's his island, we're just tenants.
    Tom Westman - master of the game, both physical and social.
    Rob Cesternino - he knew all the angles, and played them hard.
    Steph - the plucky go-getter of Palau, not the entitled yotch of Guatamala.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

To be honest, Yawn, I never bought the story about he was told his prize was tax-free.
    He got caught, tried to throw the production company under the bus, and luckily, it failed.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ozzie may have been the best player, physically, that I have seen and might be the best guy to never win. (Terry the fighter pilot would be up there too.) But he was up against Yul, who would have to rank among the top two or three players ever.

I liked Shane from a few seasons back, the guy who was trying to quit smoking who used a rock or a piece of wood as BlackBerry. Good comedic value there.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

1. Hatch is the runaway No. 1... The show is what it is largely because of what he did in Season 1...
    2. Boston Rob - Led a great coup in Marquesas and played a perfect game in all-stars.
    3. The fireman from a couple seasons ago. I don't remember his name, but he just completely dominated from Day 1.
    4. Rob Cesternino - Him not winning Survivor Africa was a travesty...
    5. Colby - Aside from making the dumbest move ever and taking Tina to the Final two, he played a brilliant game...

Honorable mention: Rupert, Yao Man, Ozzie, Lex, Big Tom...

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Worst player ever: The gal who got knocked out of Survivor 2 first, and then blamed the show for psychological damage. Second place to Chicken, from China.

Worst would-be Survivor host: Rosie O Donnell. Bitch tried to go over the brass of the show and bought cars for everyone in one show, set a bad precedence with her "fuck you I'll do what I please" attitude, and basically killed future celebrity host roles.

Draft saved Draft deleted