1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survivor 40: Winners at War

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Feb 14, 2020.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Cirie was voted out in 2017 with no votes because everyone else had some sort of immunity.

Cirie Relives One of the Most Shocking Exits in 'Survivor' History

And here's an explanation about Sandra. The rule is a player can't sit out back-to-back challenges in the same episode. Since there is just one challenge in most episodes now, she was able to sit at lot.

www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2020/03/sandra-sitting-out-survivor-challenges

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sandra didn't just get blindsided, she got played. I loved it. Ultimately, the idol for Jeremy was wasted, but it was a good show of support that probably assures he votes with her going forward, and she guaranteed that they'd be on even footing within the tribe if they lose the next challenge (assuming the tribes don't merge first).

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It was an epic finale. The winner (no spoilers) is a deserved champion. No medical quits. People played their guts out. And I actually enjoyed spending time with a lot of these folks this season. I remember hating Boston Rob when he first appeared, but he had the line of the night when he voted.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It was a good final. I intensely disliked the edge of extinction, though.

5. DanOregon

I liked it because it kept some great players "in the game" and they did impact the game play - the extortion one was the best. But as for still having a chance - when you are rooming with the jury for up to a month?

6. bigpern23

Tony was a deserving winner. He really played arguably the most dominant game since Rob won, and considering the competition, it might have been even more dominant.

Natalie played her ass off, but she didn’t make use of her biggest advantage — the ability to forge relationships with the jury without any of the pressure of Tribal Council. Rob even asked her why she didn’t talk with him, Amber and a few others during the final week on extinction. Maybe it wouldn’t have mattered, but it could have turned some votes her way.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I didn’t pay close attention and saw everything but last show, I thought that would be Natalies biggest advantage. Damn not using that was questionable.

I told my wife someone should take Tony out when they could.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

If Natalie had won it would shown how crappy Survivor has become. She finished second after being the first person voted out then buying her way back in.

Outlast, Outwit , Outplay has become Outluck as idols and advantages have become too much a part of the game.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I thought the fire tokens were an interesting twist and as Probst said they opened up a Survivor economy. The game has become predictable in many ways, everybody fucks off looking for idols as soon as they can. What if there were no idols? Or at least fewer of them? What if idols weren't reintroduced after they were played or someone left with one in tehir pocket?

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I would agree there are too many idols. I like the fire tokens maybe being used in the regular game, not on the edge extinction. I think it could be leveraged in a way that fire tokens force people in and out of their alliances to combine with people maybe they don't even like or haven't played with, but they can do something together, whether it's advantage or food or something. I'm tired of watching two or three guys team up at the beginning and then one of them winning. I think you could use the fire tokens to weeken those game-long alliances and make it more interesting and less predictable.

11. bigpern23

But she didn’t “Outluck” them. She outplayed and out worked them. She busted her ass on extinction to earn the advantages to get off the edge. Then she outplayed everyone in finding the idol and winning an immunity challenge. It wasn’t luck that got her there. It was determination, mostly.

12. DanOregon

I really don't think you should be crowned a Survivor champion if you didn't vote off anyone on the jury. Natalie had a great run - but the point of the game is burning people and getting them to vote for you.

Mngwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted