1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

survey of young Muslims: 26 percent say suicide bombing OK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 24, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've heard several right-wing talk radio hosts having a field day with this. Is this legitimate and should we be concerned? Is it possible, that as some of these talk show hosts say, the percentage is actually higher.
    Michael Savage basically said we should have internment camps like we did for the Japanese. Talking about the Japanese camps he said that even though most Japanese were not spies or saboteurs, that because some of them were, that made those camps necessary.
    So it's OK to deny an entire race or religion that same rights everyone in this country is guaranteed just because some of them might, (might, not are) be a threat to somebody's safety?
    Does that sound at all logical to anyone?

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Savage and logic aren't a good mix.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, Savage is a nut.

The poll seems legit, though, just based on the organization (Pew Research, right?) and the methodology.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Roughly the same percentage of Americans who still support Shrub.

Crazy is as crazy does.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Nope.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You can find 25 percent of any population to say anything is OK. And I'm sure you don't have to look too far...

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

If you've ever listened to Savage, that should not surprise you. He is highly amusing, but a major league freak. He hates Europe, gays, muslims, and most everyone else. He calls Bush a liberal.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Savage is my favorite.......

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

He did indeed. Pretty reprehensible idea. And although Savage obviously is free to say what he wants to say and obviously has some supporters out there, a bad idea is still a bad idea, no matter how many people agree.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Pedophilia, Slavery, the killing of the first born & Suicide Bombings?

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or supportive, but let's not kid ourselves. Slavery was permitted in this country for far too long, and the segregationism in the first 50 years of the 20th century go a long way toward saying that yes, you probably could find 25 percent of this nation's population to agree that slavery is a good idea.

And it wouldn't surprise me that there might be 25 percent out there supportive of those other evils you mentioned.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's all in how the question is worded.

The version I heard said suicide bombings were OK "to protect my religion."

The devil is in the details, of course.

I doubt many of the 26 percent actually thought their religion is being threatend. BUT IF IT WAS . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted