1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survey of Muslim Americans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Oct 25, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Did I say it was a right wing website? Pretty defensive.

But it's a bogus survey (as indicated on thhe website; however Poin conveniently left that off his post). And he bolded the part that he REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted us to notice.

And as far as I'm concerned, "Muslims for a Safe America" doesn't pass the smell test.

To wit (from their site)

Muslims For A Safe America conducted a survey at the Islamic Society of North America’s 43rd Annual Convention in Chicago from September 1, 2006 to September 4, 2006.

Let's see. That means the group has been around since 1963. How many Muslims were in the U.S. in 1963 and why did they all think America was unsafe?

I'm saying it's a fraud and the survey is bullshit.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So who was answering the questions: Presbyterians posing as Muslims?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hondo, it could be Bubba and his mouth-breathing friends in Bumfuck Arkansas who made up the survey and answered it.

My bullshit meter is redlining on the website, the survey and the organization.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

That survey is a joke. J-O-K-E

5. Chuck~Taylor

Hey poin, I'm baffled that you couldn't find this article in that search engine of yours.
    http://newsblaze.com/story/20060919065156alih.nb/topstory.html

6. Chuck~Taylor

or this one:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/18/AR2006091800597.html

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Chuck, I'm totally with you when you say the survey is a joke. But the two articles don't have any bearing on the survey's legitimacy. Has there been an increase in anti-Muslim violence? I'm sure. I'm sure there was an increase in violence or harassment of Germans or Japanese in America following the start of World War II. But let's keep our attention, at least in this thread, on the legitimacy or illegitimacy of the survey.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Yeah, I understand, but I wasn't referring to the survey. I was just referring to the cowardly actions of poin.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Two articles definitely do not have any bearing on the survey's legitimacy. What has a bearing on its legitimacy is the fact that the organization acknowledges that is non-scientific.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Agreed. Without even going to the site, I was questioning the numbers, and the disclaimer only reinforced that.

11. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Four out of five Muslims worldwide are not Arab.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wait, an unscientific study of 300 people who dispositively don't make up a representative sample?

Wonder what the folks wailing away on the Lancet thread would make of that?

Draft saved Draft deleted