1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survey: MORE than 1 in 5 are victims of sexual misconduct

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The headlines are always about sexual assault (or misconduct), but the questions and results always include kissing (page 250):

Since you have been a student at [University], has someone kissed or sexually touched you without your active, ongoing voluntary agreement?

Now, I'm not suggesting it's ok to go around and kiss unsuspecting women without their consent, but just about every guy as gone in for a kiss that he thought was welcome to find out that it wasn't.

I've rarely kissed someone only after receiving active, and ongoing agreement.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I didn't say it PROVES anything. I even offered the limitations in my very first post.

But the prevailing theme the last time we had this throwdown was that no one could find any data collected on a national scale. Now we have two distinct sets, and they both say the same thing. The other one, which I posted on the Rolling Stone thread, is here: Poll shows that 20 percent of women are sexually assaulted in college

If you're aware of any data collected on a national scale that says otherwise, post it here.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You gotta make them fill out and sign the forms in triplicate. I mean, that's just being a gentleman.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

They don't.

franticscribe likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Two useless studies means nothing.

It's really fucked up too. To whatever degree there is a problem, studies like this should set out to learn the truth, so that recommendations can be made. This doesn't do that.

In fact it is rife for abuse, and we need to realize that there are some who would like to portray this problem as larger than it is. So this study is self selected, and has a return rate of 19%. Of this 19%, we only need a small percentage to say, "sure there was a time I didn't give that guy active and ongoing permission to kiss me," and you get numbers and a headline like this.

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

The survey design is easy to access. There are statistical techniques to deal with some of the other "problems" you mentioned.

8. doctorquant

I read the relevant portions re: non-response bias. Within the limitations of their study, they took appropriate steps and were quite open about the fact that the victimization rates are highly likely to be biased upwards. But, strangely, those sorts of caveats don't make the lead when the media reports on such studies.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Why can't you conduct scientific surveys by only counting the ones that come in?

10. doctorquant

You can if you make sure that everyone surveyed responded.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Are you really asking this? It's a self-selecting audience. Just like the news article commenters.

12. doctorquant

Actually, the ones that come in are usually the only ones you can count (it's kinda hard to count that which isn't there). But you have to make adjustments for various forms of bias AND you have to take extreme care in interpreting your results.

Draft saved Draft deleted