1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surprise, Surprise

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Oct 12, 2006.

1. I know he's got some fans here, so what do we make of Warner's bailing out of '08?
    http://hotlineblog.nationaljournal.com/archives/2006/10/breaking_warner.html
    Baffles me.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

His name recog is sub-zero. Too much ground to make up, and I guess he knows it.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

here lies Sub-Zero. Now, just plain Zero.

4. Yeah, but it's 2006. Whos got name recognition except Hillary and McCain?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yet, George Pataki is still making noises about running. Beats me, too.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

He WISHES his name recog was sub-zero.

[​IMG]

As for why, I'm not sure. If Allen was stronger I could see him backing out because it'd be tough for two presidental candidates from the same state in the same year to run, but at this point Allen may not even retain his seat. Maybe he's gearing up for a second run at Warner (R)'s seat in 2008?

7. Interesting.
    Any new word that Macaca might not win?

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Unless there is a skeleton that he is afraid would come out if he ran, I don't get it. He was probably best positioned to be the moderate anti-Hillary candidate. I figure the Dem race will come down to Hillary, someone running to her right as a DLC moderate and someone running to her left. I figured it would be Warner and Feingold.....

And if he's not running in 08, why didn't he take on Geo Allen? Given what we know now, Warner would have trounced him.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

No new word, but him and Webb are running neck-and-neck in the polls, which given their standing immediately after the Democratic primary, is roughly akin to the Indianapolis Colts heading into halftime in a 20-20 tie with the Southern Buttburg Junior Varsity Pop Warner flag team.

From what I heard (I missed it because of postponed football moved to Monday), Allen won the debate they had, but I heard it from someone with a dog in the fight, so who knows? I'd be surprised if Allen actually lost, given the incumbancy and significant money advantage, but stranger things have happened.

10. Could be his fundraising numbers are just terrible, although making the decision based on that would still be premature.
    I don't get this at all.
    And I saw the debate. Allen was dumb and loud, while Webb was as stiff as an ironing board. I'd probably have to give it to Macaca -- maybe 112-110 -- on style points.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Pataki is in a real bind, as he has no clue what to do next. Barring a last minute "gay American"-esque moment, he's about to enter the Christie Whitman School of political oblivion, and I can't say I'm disappointed. Look for a book to come out in 10 months & for no one to buy it.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Malcolm Hugh Mario George WHO?

Draft saved Draft deleted