1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surprise -- Rush finds a backer in The Middle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lone star scribe, Mar 5, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You beat me to it.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nonpartisan observation here: a lot of this can be chalked up to the new power of social media.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Undoubtedly.

And, while not disputing the "wrongness" of Rush's words and actions, it will be interesting to see what happens next.

I said back when Rush was denied an opportunity to participate in a potential ownership group to purchase the NFL's St. Louis Rams, that a new level of scrutiny would now be directed at all potential owners/investors in sports franchises.

I think you'll see the same sort of thing happen here. Sure, it will take a big fuck up by some liberal commentator -- and honestly, there is no "left wing" equivalent to Rush and/or his program -- but, there's going to be a big desire on the part of the right to claim a left wing "scalp".

Dan Rather had his career basically destroyed in a matter of hours by FreeRepublic.com and a couple of other blogs. This was way before social media sites like Facebook and Twitter could galvanize public outrage.

We will see more of this.

Though, after the last few days, I suppose Rush doesn't have to worry about Joseph Kony taking over his time slot.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Kony/Limbaugh 2012. Uh-oh.

www.theroot.com/limbaugh-joseph-kony

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, Limbaugh did rush (heh-heh) to Kony's defense when Obama announced he was sending 100 special forces advisors to help hunt him down.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

> 100 advertisers lost?

www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line

7. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

And as we all know....As Hilo goes, so goes the nation!

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Another thing the media hasn't reported is that Little Miss "I Can't Afford My Own Birth Control So You Have to Pay For It" somehow managed to afford a big-money trip to Europe.

http://www.libertynews.com/2012/03/15/sandra-fluke-cant-afford-contraception-but-expensive-trips-to-europe-not-a-problem/

9. Inky_Wretch

She never, ever said she herself can't pay for it. Never.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

So, it took 2 weeks and the best you can do is some pathetic hybrid of blaming the victim and shooting the messenger.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Her being a 1-percenter and wanting us to pay for her shit makes it even worse.

12. Inky_Wretch

She never, ever said she herself can't pay for it. Never.

Draft saved Draft deleted