1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surprise on the Applebee's kids menu

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jun 15, 2007.

  1. Perry White

    Perry White Active Member

    http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_6150719

    Authorities are investigating how a margarita was inadvertently served to a toddler early this week at a local Applebee's restaurant, causing the boy to become sick.

    Police say a 2-year-old Antioch boy drank an unspecified amount of the tequila-based drink -- instead of the ordered apple juice -- after it was served to him in a covered, plastic sippy cup at the Applebee's on Hillcrest Avenue.

    The toddler was doing fine Thursday after being rushed to the hospital Monday night when he grew drowsy and started vomiting a few hours after ingesting the alcoholic beverage, his mother, Kim Mayorga, said.

    "I wasn't going to make a big deal about it," she said Thursday, "but then he got sick."

    The serving appeared to have been accidental, Antioch police Lt. Pat Welch said.

    Applebee's Vice President Randy Tei said no other children reported ingesting the mixed drink.

    "It was completely an accident," Tei said. "Once we found out about it, we reacted as swiftly as possible to put corrective procedures in place so it doesn't happen again."

    Mayorga said she was dining with her three children and her father Monday night at the restaurant when she noticed her 2-year-old son, Julian, acting strangely. She had ordered his favorite drink -- apple juice -- but he kept making funny faces and pushing away his plastic, lidded cup.

    "Finally, I'm like, 'That's crazy. He loves apple juice,'" she said.

    Concerned, Mayorga opened the lid and checked the juice.

    She was instantly hit by the reek of booze.

    "When I called the waitress over, I couldn't believe what I was saying: 'You served my son alcohol.'"

    Corporate representatives later told Mayorga that the mistaken beverage poured in her son's cup was their "top-shelf" margarita, complete with Triple Sec and high-quality tequila.

    The restaurant keeps apple juice and the premade "top-shelf" liquor fusion in two identical-looking plastic bottles on ice behind the bar, Tei said. Yeah, that's really smart...

    Markings on the bottles differentiate the two, but a manager who was working at the time mistakenly grabbed the margarita mixture instead of the apple juice jug. The children's cup is opaque white with graphics around the sides and a cover, making it difficult to see in, Tei said.
     
  2. tyler durden 71351

    tyler durden 71351 Active Member

    They'll never have to pay for a crappy meal at Applebee's ever again.
     
  3. heyabbott

    heyabbott Well-Known Member

    That makes it all right, the kid got top shelf tequila and probably got a blow job from the waitress.
     
  4. patchs

    patchs Active Member

    Pukin' good in the neighborhood.
     
  5. three_bags_full

    three_bags_full Well-Known Member

    Great line.
     
  6. KYSportsWriter

    KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

    Wow. No other words for this at all.
     
  7. RayKinsella

    RayKinsella Member

    Are they really wondering how it got there?

    Lets see ....

    Johnny Manager hates his job. But he likes to drink. But one problem, he can't go around drinking top-shelf liquor all day. Sooo, to hide his drinking problem he puts it in a sippy cup and listens to all the people who laugh at him, knowing all the while that he is the one that is having the last laugh because he gets to drink on the job.

    Enter Jane Waitress, who in a rush sees a sippy cup and assumes it is hers. Takes it to the table and serves it.

    The end.
     
  8. Just_An_SID

    Just_An_SID Active Member

    The parents should have known something was up when the sippy cup had salt around the rim.
     
  9. Sly

    Sly Active Member

    True story: At my seventh birthday my aunt decided to make some alcoholic punch for the grownups. Yet no one told Ol' Sly (then Young Sly) that it wasn't for birthday boys. Worked through two or three glasses of the funny-tasting stuff before one of my sips was interrupted by the screams of another aunt. Passed out a few minutes later and then woke up a few hours later to start puking. My mom was watching me sleep the whole time and quickly got me in the bathroom where I got plenty of practice for my college years. The best part is that the next day I had my yearly checkup at the doctor's office, which included a blood test. My parents had to sheepishly explain why there was alcohol in my blood.
     
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page