1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surgery for John Feinstein

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 30, 2009.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, Dave. Classic stuff.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is he 50? I don't think he is...

3. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

7 bypasses? Good grief, I've never heard of that many. Glad you're doing better, former USBWA El Presidente.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. In his blog. Good read.

5. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

He's 53 the end of this month. Besides the sportswriter life, he has a family history of heart disease -- which is why he has done annual stress tests. Saved his life this time. Doc said, "Could've been a Russert situation."

Insurance will pay for a test if you have a family history. (I think.)

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For some reason I thought he was in his 20s when Season on the Brink came out.

I hope everything goes well.

7. Glad to hear John's doing OK. Joe Williams is right. We ARE all getting older.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

From what I heard, he aced the stress test. It wasn't until they did an angiogram that they caught the blockages.

The guy was very fortunate. He could've easily dropped dead next week.

9. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Very lucky, yes. But didn't ace the test. Aced the treadmill section, but the heart-diffusion pictures -- done after the treadmill, with the patient at rest, showing how blood then moves through the heart's vessels -- showed a "spot" in an artery. That called for the angiogram that identified the spot as a blockage and found the others.

10. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

Best wishes to John. A plethora of his books fill my "library." One of the best basketball writers out there.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

A dozen of his books on my shelf. Looking forward to buying more.

In other words, get well quickly, Mr. Feinstein.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I just came upon this today.

I've met John a couple of times and hope he's recovering nicely -- I know it's not easy.

But I'm posting to say that my dad also had 7-bypass surgery. His was at age 51. Same deal - no heart attack, just went in for tests due to family history - did the angio - they said, "You're not going anywhere, sir..." - was told he was a ticking time bomb and that his chest would have exploded anyday - there was only a trickle of blood getting through - did the surgery the next day - same surgeon who did Dan Reeves.

Anyhoo....... That was 12 years ago, and dad's doing great. My only beef with him is that he occasionally still eats bacon and occasionally smokes a cigar.

But my point is that medicine and science are really starting to get a handle on perfecting the bypass surgery and managing artery disease.

Also met a 70 year old man recently who's had 2 major bypass surgeries in his life and is still in great health.

Draft saved Draft deleted