1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surgery for John Feinstein

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A twitter feed from someone who would know says John had bypass surgery yesterday - anyone know any more?
    I know we've debated his work on here from time to time. Most of it I really like, some of it I don't like as much.
    What I will not debate is that John is a very good guy. He's always been great to me and it has been terrific fun the few times I've been able to sit around and listen to his stories.
    Here's wishing him the best for a very speedy recovery.

The feed:

John Feinstein had by pass surgery yesterday. His doctor found 4 blockages in his arteries. His heart is strong from all his swimming

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Here's hoping for a quick and full recovery.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

A fine, and prolific, writer. Feinstein books dot my shelves, and here's one more wannabe hack wishing him a fine recovery.

RB

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Good luck to him. He can probably crank out a new book in the recovery room.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Best of luck to Feinstein. That Twitter feed is from Jim Larranaga ...

http://twitter.com/MasonCoachL

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ok...how the hell did i NOT know about Coach L's twitter? I blame Moddy.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I enjoy reading his books. I hope he fully recovers.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Brings to mind Dan Jenkins' line, after he went on the table for what they thought would be a quadruple-bypass, and turned out they only had to clear out three: "I played it 1-under."

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

He blogged about it before he went in:

http://web.me.com/tedlivingston/Feinstein_On_The_Brink/BLOG/Entries/2009/6/29_An_Unexpected_Monday_%E2%80%93_Heart_Bypass_Surgery.html

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Hearing the PTI guys talking about John's bypass surgery really made it hit home that we're ALL getting freaking older.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Worked with John, wishing him a speedy recovery.

12. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Spent a couple hrs with him today....all's well...says doc may let him go tomorrow -- 3 days after the max number of bypasses, 7....amazing....expects to be swimming again in 5,6 weeks...our old boss, George Solomon, asked, "So, Junior, was Monday the first day in your life when you weren't obnoxious to somebody?"....Yes, John says, but quickly reconsiders: "Before the surgery, I wanted to talk to the doctor. They said that's not usual procedure. But I insisted." (Firmly if not loudly, though probably both.) "So they brought him and I asked, 'Am I going to die?'"

Draft saved Draft deleted