1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surgeon General's report on secondhand smoke

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Be careful smoking while riding your bike, though. Could get an ash in the eye.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20060624235042AATHY7k

3. Stupid

Stupid Member

Heh...I try to flick the still-lit butts into the open windows of the jackasses that cut me off.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Normally wouldn't weigh in on something like this... But I met the surgeon general at the Super Bowl a couple of years ago and ended up talking to him for a very long time. He was actually a great guy. I mean, there was nothing about him that says "politician." He was the kind of guy you'd hang out with and watch sports. I'd describe him as the anti-C. Everett Coop. He was telling me a bit about himself, and apparently he was a bit of a bad ass when he was younger. Told me about some of the trouble he got into growing up. He grew up in NYC and dropped out of high school and enlisted in the army. Was special forces in Vietnam. But didn't have a military demeanor. Just a regular guy, not full of himself. After he got back from the service, he became a paramedic and then he went back to college and became a registered nurse. And then liked medicine so much he went on to medical school at a relatively late age and became a surgeon. He was a really interesting guy and a self-made man.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Stupid ... rarely are you ever subjected to said emissions being blown right in your face from point blank range ... unless you're into sucking tailpipes and what not.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Mahoney had to run behind the tailpipe in "Police Academy."

And there was a banana in the tailpipe in "Beverly Hills Cop."

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ok, I know this one is trite, but we all learn it when we are young and it still rings true -- two wrongs don't make a right (though two Wrights can make an airplane. Go figure).

Is smoking the only thing out there messing up the environment or causing health problems? Of course not. But that doesn't make it any less dangerous.

And to answer pallister's earlier question, I'm definitely ready to come out in favor of making smoking illegal, but I know it will never happen. Too many jobs in the tobacco industry and far too many powerful big tobacco lobbyists in Washington for it to be pheasable or realistic.

But I can still dream.... unlike some of the smokers I used to know. All they do these days is fill up boxes buried six feet deep.

And Stupid, please come back when you're ready to take your head out of the sand.

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

Yikes, if second-hand smoke is that dangerous, then I better take up smoking so I can be safe with the first-hand kind.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

ESPN has learned that you're all going to die someday.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I was thinking about this post at dinner tonight. It was a routine evening until the last 20 minutes, when some fucktard's cell phone rang loud enough to be heard over Stephen A. Smith. Of course, he didn't answer on the first, second or third ring, so then he had to call back.

Right after that, the geniuses at the table behind me started either watching a small TV or listening to a pocket CD player. The static was loud enough to battle Dick Vitale.

Then I got the check, which was the real downer. $2.50 for a root beer! $2.50. What the hell.

11. Stupid

Stupid Member

Wrong. I rode a bike every day in SF for 11 years. that's pretty much emissions being blown right in my face from point blank range. Are you telling me that you really think that people who deal with secondhand smoke are in that situation every day? Please tell me you don't really believe that.

oop-My original point stands. Secondhand smoke is obviously bad but has there ever been a way to delineate that from other noxious fumes that one might inhale? If not, then how can one honestly say that secondhand smoke is the sole culprit for health problems. If you're not able to admit that some of the negative PR on secondhand smoke fails to cover the big picture you're the one with your head in the sand.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

OK, here goes.

By all means, making smoking illegal. And I'll quit. I need a kick start anyway.

But spare me the fucking whining already. You have to catch a whiff of smoke on your way into the office? Tough fucking shit. Come find me when it's 30 below out and we're out there trying to get a drug our body has become dependent on into our fucking systems so we can function normally.

That's really what these threads are about -- and I've seen a bunch of them -- piling on a group of people society already shits on to make yourself feel better. Everything else is just window dressing. We're polluting the air? Quit driving. it makes you uncomfortable, and it smells bad? So does your shitty perfume. It's giving you cancer? Not unless you're exposing yourself to a shit ton of it, it ain't. It's driving up health care costs? So's drinking and McDonalds and jerkoffs abusing prescription drugs and about a million other things. What's the solution. Kick a fucking smoker.

I know smoking is bad for me. And I know second-hand smoke is a viable health concern. But not to the person who has to get a hint of a cigarette as they walk into a building. They've already banned smoking in almost every public space. Smokers are taxed up the ass and pay outrageous insurance prices, even though your average fat slob or daytime drunk is not subject to the same penalties. I mean fuck, some dude gets so fat he can't get out of his house without having a wall taken down and being airlifted, and his is a heartwarming tale of survival. But God forbid you're a smoker, because THAT's a personal failing. ThomsonOne, you're an assclown, BTW.

The bottom line is that people engage in behaviors that aren't good for them. You want to legislate all of them, that's your perogative, but I don't think you'll like where that path leads you.

Draft saved Draft deleted