1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surgeon General's report on secondhand smoke

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Stupid

Stupid Member

No, but I also don't think it's worse than automobile emissions. Where are the commercials telling the public that their cars are killers? People don't have to drive, esp. if they live in areas with outstanding public transportation.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

OK. I walk a lot, take public transportation when I can and drive a hybrid. I also bitch about emissions.

Am I allowed to complain about secondhand smoke?

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Serious question: The consensus seems to be that smoking shouldn't be done inside or outside in public, so is anyone ready to make it illegal?

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

No. If you would like to smoke in your house, I see absolutely no problem with it.

I'm not on the ban smoking outside kick. I just wish that there was a way to enter locations without being bombarded with smoke.

5. Stupid

Stupid Member

I didn't drive for 11 years when I lived in the Bay Area. I have to drive now that I'm back in NC but I still walk many nearby places.

You can complain all you want, lugnuts, that's your right. I just rarely see the amount of energy put into complaining over secondhand smoke put into criticizing automobile users. Yes, I realize that driving constitutes a need and smoking is just a habit but as you can see by some of the responses here, people don't even want to talk about the difference.

Smoking is bad, bad, bad and if you try to suggest anything that makes it seem less bad, you're an idiot. Fuck that bullshit. There's a definite slant when it comes to criticism of smoking and I don't understand why people won't just acknowledge it. It seems that it would make the arguments against smoking even stronger instead of being propped up by incomplete or erroneous information.

6. Stupid

Stupid Member

the only way I'd be in favor of outlawing tobacco is to legalize marijuana.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What about smoking is good?

8. Lugnuts

Yes!!!!  Thank you.

I'm entitled to complain, everybody, and you're not.  Na na na na boo boo!!

When you go out and bike to work, and carpool and drive a hybrid and bitch about emissions.... Then, and only then, can you complain about the dangers of secondhand smoke.

I'll consider letting you in my club if you see An Inconvenient Truth.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

The same thing could be said about drinking (something tells me that anti thread won't be coming anytime soon), eating basically anything not directly out of the ground, coffee, etc., etc.

So what exactly is your point?

And BTW, I'm a non-smoker.

10. Stupid

Stupid Member

I'd love to see it but the real inconvenient truth in my life right now is that my last fart might have been a little too wet.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, but the "one or two beers a day after work guy" or "the glass of wine with dinner woman" are not the ones driving health care costs through the roof in this country, the way people who smoke do when they get cancer, heart disease, stroke out, etc. Plus, there is the added point that started this thread. If you want to toss back a fifth of jack daniels, at least it doesn't find a way to destroy my liver too.

For what it's worth, I actually don't eat anything that didn't come from the ground.

12. Lugnuts

Stupid, TMI.

Draft saved Draft deleted