1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surely we're better than this ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Aug 14, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_...e/20060813130409990006?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Another story about another detainee held for several years without ever being charged with a crime and, ultimately, guilty of nothing. Just sent on his way with our "sincere" apologies.

Let me first say that I recognize fighting terrorism is a sticky task. I understand that most of the people involved in holding these prisoners (and that's what they are, no matter the name the government is using for them) are trying to do good things for us.

But we can't do this shit. We just can't. We're the country where this kind of stuff isn't supposed to happen. We can't, in the name of fighting terrorism, simply start ignoring all the principles and guidelines on which this country was founded.

I just simply can't understand how people don't see that stories like this, which show us violating our own laws and rights, are the true sign that the terrorists are winning.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Don't call me Shirley.

Draft saved Draft deleted