1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surely this is SOMEHOW (not ethically) wrong ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: Surely this is ethically wrong ...

King,

Don't call me Shirley.

The job of the SID department folks is to publicize their sports. Providing photos to media outlets is one way of doing that.

So they aren't doing you a favor, they are doing their jobs. But if your special request is too much of a pain for them, they are are free to tell you no.

You aren't giving the guy an assignment, you are asking for a specific photo and they are free to tell you to get bent.

That's different from hiring someone who is obligated to follow orders.

Yeah, it may be a pain for them and awkward for you, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

When putting together college and high school preview sections I ask schools to send action shots all the time. Sometimes they go and shoot them because I asked.

I don't feel guilty at all.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am. I'm sure he is too. He said he wasn't sure he was comfortable with it, and I was trying to give him an alternative. Does he routinely make photo assignments, or were they trying to get him to do it for them because the two folks in the SID office used to work for them? It sounded like there was more of a sticky wicket to the story than he wanted to say on here. That's all. Maybe I read too much into it, but I'm not suggesting he not be a team player. I'd be curious to know who normally makes arrangements for photos taken by non-staff shooters.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Just throwing this out there, but if we as newspapers as a whole continue to ask SIDs, high schools, parents, whoever else, for free photos, why would we as newspapers need to employ photogs?

I'm against any and all shots provided by someone other than our photogs — unless we pay that person providing the shot a freelance fee.

Just another reason and way to cut our own jobs.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if you are writing a story about a kid signing with your local college and the kid is five states away, you'd do what? Send a photographer? Refuse to run a photo?

5. Pete Incaviglia

PAY SOMEONE! Anyone. Even if that someone is the school's SID.

If someone does work, they deserve to be paid. Bottom line.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Most of these photos requested are shots papers or schools have on file.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Ace, I'm speaking more to this specific case in this thread — or cases like it.

I understand mugshots, signings, and other mundane items being provided.

But action shots? Shots from events? Someone deserves to be paid.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They are -- by the school.

9. Re: Surely this is ethically wrong ...

I can't believe this even a debate!
    Yes, I know this is SportsJournalists.com, but damn.
    Ace is spot on.
    It is part of the SID's job to use photos to help promote the school.
    We routinely ask the SID's at Marshall and WVU to provide photos - action shots - of players that get feature storys. Most schools have the action shots on file and send them right away.
    The same is true of college players from our area who are at schools many, many miles away.
    I don't think we've ever had a single request denied. They are always accommodating and have provided us the requested photos.
    It is part of the job.

Where is "justansid" when you need him?

Holy crap.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Why not ask the SID to write the story, too?

I mean, as long as you're outsourcing for free content, save yourself some time and the paper some money.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Exactly. What if the shoe were (was?) on the other foot. And the SID was providing the story and not the photograph? How would you, as a writer/reporter, like that?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The difference is that you are not requiring the SID to send you a certain picture at a certain time, you are asking. Or maybe begging.

Obviously if you can send your own person you do.

Draft saved Draft deleted