1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sure signs your company's f'ed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ltrain1127

ltrain1127 Member

If you take a 6 percent pay cut, then a 4 percent cut, then you have a day where the paper just doesn't get printed because of an electrical failure and then lay off 40 percent of editorial staff across 4 papers, all within 2 months, you might be a redneck, oops, I man your company might be f'ed.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Your publisher has figured out that in using lexis-nexis, you are charged like a penny a search or something like that -- so all searches must be approved and conducted by the boss/editor in your department, and only said editors have accounts now......

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The company newsletter has tips for filing unemployment, local food banks, and resume help.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The lead story on A1 of your cross-town competitor is of YOUR publisher making love to said goat.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Suddenly required for reporters in my state. Not sure that's even legal, but they bought us four or so of them anyway.

Oh, and the most obvious of them all, I think: The rest of the country is struggling, but the economy here is in good shape!

6. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Beat me to it. That's what I get for working instead of reading SportsJournalists.com.

Another one: Managers that always have great new ideas every week but never lessen your workload. I love working even more hours and not getting paid for it!

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Coffee no longer free--bring your own or use vending machine.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

You and two other co-workers have started a layoff/cuts pool guessing the number of people who will be laid off after your parent company reports quarterly losses late this month. Ties will be broken by correctly guessing which positions will be eliminated.

Yes. This is happening at our shop.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sam Zell is at the top of your company.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Your publisher tries to fire someone who's getting paid something like $50 per week because "he costs too much money."

Said publisher comes to you and bitches because you pay $8 per column for access to an opinion writing syndicate.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

221. On payday, accounting comes around with this:

[​IMG]

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Change we can believe in!

Draft saved Draft deleted