1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court to take up wedding cake case

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 26, 2017.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don't know and I'm not doing the google search to find out. NTTAWWT

Big Circus likes this.
  2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Well...if that's the case, then OK. People who get things other than cream cheese frosting should be tried in the Hague.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Halloween? Fuck this guy. Would this asshole make a dinosaur cake? A Barney themed cake? After all, the Genesis story and shit

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A few years ago I picked up a temporary side job at a stationary print shop that shipped orders all over the country. Most of what they did at that time of year was Christmas cards, but there was a steady stream of wedding orders, including a few gay weddings (which weren't legal in Alabama then.) Who if anybody should have had right to refuse to handle those orders? The designers? The proofreader? Accounting? Press operators? Owners? Where would you draw the line on where someone was expressing themselves artistically and who was just a working stiff moving product down the line?

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Depends on how they vote.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If I'm a homophobic artistic cake maker and I really don't want to make a cake for "those people," I will just do an incredibly shitty job --- maybe even make an offensive cake on purpose. They'll refuse payment, of course, which is fine. Followed the letter of the law, did I not?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, that's just it. He's arguing it's not just same-sex wedding cakes. He'll sell them a cake, he just won't decorate it. Is that enough? Where exactly is the line?

8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

I'm a liberal--and not at all religious--but it is quite alarming how many on the left have abandoned a robust defense of the First Amendment, including the parts about religion. I think quite a few people would be shocked if they looked at the court lineup in Employment Division v. Smith.

JC and QYFW like this.
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Or, even better, a bed Trump slept on! With hookers!!

doctorquant likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're not doing enough.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Guess that's more stable than one that moves around a lot.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Nearly 73 percent of Democrats and 17 percent of Republicans said they would abstain from alcohol for the rest of their lives if they could see the official political process begin to remove Trump, according to a Detox.net survey of 1,013 men and women nationwide.
    For life. 73 percent. That is pathetic.

Draft saved Draft deleted