1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court to take up wedding cake case

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I thought we had already figured this one out when it was blacks that the bigotry was leveled against.

This is one I just don't get. On the one hand, "my religion" shouldn't be a license that makes some laws not apply to you -- for obvious reasons.

In this case, though, I think we really should just leave it in the court of public opinion -- where it actually belongs. This is one of those things that the side of decency has actually been winning. There has been a compelling argument over the last 20 to 30 years that gays shouldn't be treated any differently than straight people. And the world has definitely shifted in that direction. There are still intolerant people who use their religion as crutch because they feel threatened by that change. But in a free live-and-let-live society, I think this is best settled in the court of public opinion, not in an actual court. I am not sure why supplying a cake to an event signify's your endorsement of the event. Even so, though, if your cake business suffers because enough people are turned off by your stance and boycott you, it's way more powerful than being compelled to behave decently because of a law. And you lose the ground to try to make yourself into a martyr. Even if it doesn't play out that way in some places, why would you want to force someone to bake a cake for your wedding if they seemingly have such hatred for you? You can't legislate people's attitudes, so why not just say, "Fuck you very much," and head down the block to the next cake baker?

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

In my mind there will be a cake testing for the justices while on the bench.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's the highest-stakes episode of "Iron Chef" ever.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If it's Colorado cake, watch the ingredients! :cool:

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

You underestimate the power of bigotry. There will be enough homophobes who will go out of their way to support this bakery because of their stance. If that wasn't the case, Chick-fil-A wouldn't be as successful as they are.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

I know that the liberal instinct is to feel like these cake makers shouldn't discriminate against same-sex couples.

On the other hand, a competing liberal instinct should be that the First Amendment may protect these cake artists.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You didn't quote the next sentence in my my post:

I'm not underestimating bigotry. I know it can be suffocating. I was saying that IF that bigot pays a price due to the court of public opinion destroying his business, great. It's much more effective than if you try to legislate decency and giving him the ground to try to play martyr. And if it doesn't work out that way (as in, he doesn't pay that price). ... why not just say screw em? I wouldn't want to pay someone for a cake who seemingly hates me that much.

DeskMonkey1 likes this.
  9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The second point is the crux of the biscuit.
    Making a wedding cake is protected expression. You legally cannot compel someone to amend the content of his or her artistic expression.
    It's a slippery slope from censoring cake artists to thought police.

10. Dick Whitman

OK, sure, but you overlook the vital fact that liberals disagree with the cake artists!

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

They shouldn't be eating cake anyway. They're all allergic to gluten.

I Should Coco and HanSenSE like this.
  12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Could you consider making milkshakes or a sandwich at a diner artistic expression in Montgomery, Alabama?

Sorry. You're black and think you are part of an inferior race. You can't partake in my milkshake art.

Draft saved Draft deleted