1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court to Consider Health Care Law

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Talked to the guy again today who was a Supreme Court clerk. I can't remember exactly what indicated this, but he seemed pretty sure that the case will be decided on the tax question (and he brought it up, not me. It was a group of people). He put his fingers about a half inch apart and said, "This is how much space there is between a tax and being unconstitutional." I know that doesn't make sense because I don't remember it exactly, but his point was that finding a tax unconstitutional is exceedingly rare, and there's almost no room with which to do it.

He had two concluding thoughts:

* Because the tax question seems to be the ground that this will be decided on, he thinks the Court will find it Constitutional.
    * That being said, trying to prediction how the Supreme Court is going to decide is perilous business.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This isn't the Warren court. I still say the conservative Republican majority on the court will overturn the law.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Conservative judges are different than conservatives politically.

Conservatives judges don't like to overrule the legislative branch.

Also, justices don't always align with their parties. Look at the Gonzalez v. Raich case. All the conservatives, presumably Drug War supporters, voting that non-sale of marijuana in California is not commerce.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Understand the point, Dick. But you don't think the justices are capable of making decisions based on politics?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

WSJ points out a flaw in the workings in the law:

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Brazenly!

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

top stories in
    Opinion

Mr. Adler is professor of law and director of the Center for Business Law and Regulation at Case Western Reserve University. Mr. Cannon is director of health policy studies at the Cato Institute.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Multiply this analysis by 50 states (or 51 if Newt's Moon gets added before DC does) and Obamacare's a huge winner:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120127/OPINION03/301270049/Health-reform-takes-shape?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If salient was thrown in there, it would be a winner of a piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted