1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court to Consider Health Care Law

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 14, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Breaking news.

Here's an earlier USA Today article:

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

For the longest time, I was convinced that the Supreme Court would throw out the health care bill for sure. But now that two conservative, Republican-appointed appellate judges have upheld it, I don't think it's such a certainty now.

Thing is, it's a win-win for Republicans no matter how the Supreme Court rules. If it upholds the law, the GOP nominee can go to voters and say "The liberal activist judges on the Supreme Court defied the will of the American people, so you must elect us to end this monstrosity and appoint more conservative justices to the courts." If the Supremes throw out the bill, the GOP is vindicated and Obama loses his major domestic accomplishment, giving his base even less reason to take the time and jump through the hoops needed to vote next year.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I assume Republicans will oppose the overturning of the legislation by the court. You know, activist judges and all that.

5. YankeeFan

I'm not sure you understand the definition of the term.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Rejecting an increase in the scope of government power =/= creating such an increase.

7. YankeeFan

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

9. Dick Whitman

I spoke last week with a former clerk of Clarence Thomas who said that it is ludicrous to think that the ACA will be overturned. Take that for what it's worth. The guy is extremely conservative and extremely brilliant.

Also, regardless of the outcome of this case, any Republican who claims that the Supreme Court is packed with liberal activist judges is asking to be a national laughingstock. There is a reason that they shy away from the Supreme Court and mostly take aim at the 9th Circuit.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You forgot to add "It's a tax!"

11. Dick Whitman

:)

12. Dick Whitman

The ex-Thomas clerk also said that, without my prompting.

Draft saved Draft deleted