1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court rules in favor of Westboro protesters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 2, 2011.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

A lot of them are lawyers. I imagine* they go all over the country taking on cases others won't due to the ethics involved. Since I feel* that the Phelpses care only about how to use the law to their advantage over ethics, they probably have a fairly decent caseload.

* You'll all note I said "I imagine" and "I feel." I do not claim to know the motivations of the clan and I'd care not to.

2. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I looked into this a little more and apparently Phelps was a prominent civil rights attorney for years and was a great friend to the black community. How the hell he went from civil rights defender to complete loony toon is hard to figure out.

So I guess he has enough money saved up to keep doing this but I really hope he doesn't have any additional income streams that he can still tap (other than donations from other wackos).

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Of course I agree. That's the whole point of having a First Amendment, and putting it first on the list.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can't deny the Holocaust in Canada, or many parts of Europe. If you can't legally deny the Holocaust, you really living in a free society.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No doubt about it.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

An underutilized tool with which to attack epic dirtbags . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted