1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court OKs prayer before town board meetings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 6, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, it does happen, to clarify.

But not with regularity.

And it couldn't happen, most likely, because, although they are appointed for life, the public is still a watchdog over this. The legitimacy of the Court is a concern they harbor, and it acts as a check on them.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Not everything is arbitrary.

And, no one is taken by surprise that we elect certain people and those people appoint others.

I'd personally like to see lifetime appointments lifted and limited to maybe 15 years or so. But I'm not holding my breath.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

John Roberts walked in the door with a big agenda and a long-term strategy to accomplish it. He's been largely successful so far. He's only 59. Best I can tell, the only concern about public perception he's shown is that which leads him to portray himself as a level-headed moderate. (The Obamacare decision probably best reflects that.) Meanwhile, Alito demonstrates little, if any, concern about the public's opinion of the court's legitimacy. Thomas none at all.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Out of curiousity. ... Breyer, Ginsburg, Kagan, Sotomayor, in your estimation (feel free to add Scalia, too). ... did any of them come in with big agendas? Do they demonstrate any concern about preserving public opinion and the court's legitimacy?

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No. I respect the remaining six, including Scalia and Kennedy.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Do you disagree with Brown vs. Board of Education, which reversed Plessy vs. Ferguson, even though social ideas in the South hadn't evolved in 60 years?

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

That might offend the religious right

Draft saved Draft deleted