1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court OKs prayer before town board meetings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 6, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A truly landmark First Amendment development. It makes me wonder if this sets the stage for prayer in public school. I suspect he desperately would love to find a path to it.

Terrible decision, by the way.

www.nytimes.com/2014/05/06/nyregion/supreme-court-allows-prayers-at-town-meetings.html?hp&_r=0

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There already is a moment of silence in Virginia. I sort of like that instead of having religious beliefs shoved in everyone's faces.

Pray in private unless you are at church where you can publicly pray.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can't wait until Satanists want to offer their prayer.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"You cannot petition The Lord with prayer." / Ruth Bader Ginsburg

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Separation, schmeparation.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Who's he? Roberts? Scalia?

Certainly you're not referring to Kennedy, who wrote the majority opinion.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I figured that he meant God. What other he could there be?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You properly point out when people misunderstand "free speech" issues, and think they run afoul of the 1st Amendment.

You should also know that the "separation" is not a Constitutional phrase, or requirement.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Quite true. We've been over the fact that the phrase "separation of church and state" doesn't appear in the Constitution.

We've also been over the fact that the wording that is used was absolutely intended to do just that, per one of the Constitution's principle architects.

It all hinges on whether this or any pro-religion law can reasonably be considered "endorsement." It's a bullshit threshold used by the Christian majority for its benefit and no one else's.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

One tidbit I found interesting that in the majority opinion, Kennedy said the prayers were largely ceremonial.

I'm struck by the lack of religious outrage at this point. Imagine the wailing and rending of garments if the determination that prayers don't convey a religious point came from another source...the President, for example.

Draft saved Draft deleted