1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Support for gay marriage: 58 percent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ever. This is a National League world, and ought to stay that way.

Pitchers pitch. Pitchers hit.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

She may not have Portman's record, but she does have a record.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/03/18/how-hillary-clinton-evolved-on-gay-marriage/

* Clinton said in January 2000 that marriage does not include gay unions: ”Marriage has got historic, religious and moral content that goes back to the beginning of time and I think a marriage is as a marriage has always been, between a man and a woman.” She said she would have voted for the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, but again said she supported partnership benefits for same-sex couples. Gay groups expressed disappointment in her position.

And since she has used her time as First Lady as a credential for political office, it's absolutely fair to assign the burden of proof to her to argue her way out of the stench of DOMA and DADT.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

And managers make double moves.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

For those asking about how welcome Mr. Portman will be in the "gay marriage movement," I think that's going to depend upon how much of that movement he supports. Certainly his original announcement and the first round of press interviews was qualified.

www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/03/15/rob-portman-gay-marriage-son/1988375/

On Thursday, Portman said he would like to see Congress repeal the provision of DOMA that bans federal recognition of same-sex marriage, although he still supports the part of the law that says states should not be forced to recognize same-sex marriages.

. . .

Asked whether he would support overturning Ohio's state ban on same-sex marriage if it comes up in a voter referendum, Portman said yes.

"I'm going to be supportive of Ohioans having the opportunity to marry," he said. "I would not plan to take a leadership role in this, but people will know my position."

. . .

Even as he endorsed same-sex marriage, Portman said this would not suddenly become a top legislative priority for him. He has no plans, for example, to introduce legislation to repeal elements of DOMA or take on any other gay rights issues.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Barack Obama was in favor of civil unions and partner rights before he came out in support of actual gay marriage. And he asked his Justice Department to withdraw support of DOMA.

There is a massive cavern of fucking difference between him and Portman, whose party actively loaths(ed) gays and used them as a wedge issue to win in 2004.

Try harder to troll next time.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agreed. Although maybe worth noting she held no office when she said that, and was on the record in support of civil unions.

7. Dick Whitman

Creosote's issue is that Obama tried to split the baby, disingenuously, and it's a fair criticism. Hardly trolling.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

And I disagree with that assessment. Creosote doesn't give a shit either way. He's hunting for a false equivalence. It's what he does. BOTH SIDES DO IT!!!!!

9. Dick Whitman

Worth noting, sure. But if Obama got credit for his phantom vote in opposition to the Iraq War, she gets saddled with this.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly both she and Bill were actively trying to repeal the Defense of Marriage act around '95 /'96 so maybe it's not a complete turnaround.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Or in this case, pitchers can catch. Catchers can pitch. And they deserve the same rights as those who strictly pitch (or catch).

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Thirty years ago it was a big deal to have a black family as the center of a television show on a major network and have a black quarterback in the Super Bowl.

Now we have a two-term President who is black. Fifty years ago, this would have been impossible to believe and thirty years ago it would have been very hard to believe.

Perspectives change with each generation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.