1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Support for gay marriage: 58 percent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have to wonder: Does the gay marriage movement want to win support of people whose support they didn't used to have, or do they just want those people to die and that will solve the problem?

I think the Civil Rights Movement was willing to accept that people could evolve, even in those cases where the evolution only happened because they had a new black neighbor.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hillary Clinton's stance has "evolved" recently. So has Dick Cheney's. So has Rob Portman's. So has the president's.

I don't care what changed their minds, I just care that they changed their minds...

3. Mizzougrad96

I'd be more focused on educating younger people about it than I would trying to convince older people that they should change their minds after 60-70 years...

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that the reaction to Portman's announcement answers your question.

5. Dick Whitman

That's a damned good point.

I do think Obama got some criticism for that at the time, but it seems like a lot of the coverage focused on the implications for the upcoming election, which of course turned out to be HUGE.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, and I think that's an ugly answer.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It seems odd to criticize politicians of any ideology for doing things for political reasons. Isn't that kind of in their job description. Criticizing someone for making a political decision for personal reasons is just silly, since at some point each and every citizen does that.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The movement would have been a lot farther along had George HW Bush not signed the Defense of Marriage act into law for political expediency.

9. Mizzougrad96

Are you doing the same for Hillary Clinton?

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

10 to 20 years from now gay marriage will be part of the fabric of American society.

Several states will've legalized pot.

We'll've had a female POTUS.

These are all the things we're evolving toward. The only thing we'll never agree upon is abortion.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course. Same with the president.

But neither have the record Mr. Portman does of actively opposing gay rights.

12. Dick Whitman

And the designated hitter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.