1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Support for gay marriage: 58 percent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Incredibly, the numbers have reversed in a decade. I wonder if there's ever been anything like this.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/03/support-gay-marriage-has-never-been-higher/63241/

I think it will be interesting to see how churches eventually deal with the inevitable - gay marriage's and homosexuality's widespread, mainstream acceptance. They'll have to reconcile it with the Bible somehow, and they will, but I'm interested to see how they get there with the language about "abomination" and such. Perhaps some of the more theologically learned among us could enlighten.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Expect the evangelical deadenders on gay marriage to dig in their heels. As Michele Shocked does here.

www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/mar/19/michelle-shocked-anti-gay-rant

"When they stop Prop 8 and force priests at gunpoint to marry gays, it will be the downfall of civilisation, and Jesus will come back," Shocked told the crowd at Yoshi's in San Francisco, before many of them reportedly walked out. "You are going to leave here and tell people, 'Michelle Shocked said God hates faggots.'"

3. This.

Kind of like Rob Portman reversing his stance last week - to support his son.
    It's all well and good you changed your mind and became more tolerant of shit that doesn't directly affect you or your family .... until it did.

As has been stated before numerous times - I think this is largely a generational thing; an "abomination" to the older baby boom set and no big deal to people my age and younger.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How deeply held is a "conviction" or a "principle" if it only applies to strangers?

Portman's turnaround is welcome, certainly, but let's not confuse self-interest with an evolution of principle.

5. Dick Whitman

I'm sure I called someone a "fag" in middle school.

Am I off the team, too?

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Did you stop doing it because your brother is gay?

Or because it's the right thing to do?

Interesting question - asked and (partially) answered here.

www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/03/18/dewayne-wickham-on-portman-and-gay-marriage/1994423/

7. Dick Whitman

Brother-in-law.

And I don't know. I don't remember. I don't think it matters. I am very much against this newly emerging tiered level of support for gay marriage, and I think it can end up being a momentum-killer.

8. Good for you.
    But the fact it's been the right thing to do all along sticks out like Paris Hylton at a MENSA convention.

9. Or because you grew up? Matured? Had kids?
    I know I used the terms fag and gay ... Big difference between 14 and 40.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The needle is moving in the opposite direction, of course. But the most vocal opponents are going to make as much noise about it as they can for the next decade. Where they'll find their Alamo is anyone's guess. But they'll find one and make their stand.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you put this on the ballot nationally, do you think it would pass at 58 percent?

12. I guess.
    It's hypocritical as hell, but I guess.
    As noted earlier: as support for this continues to turn, it will be interesting to see if and how religious leaders meld it into their faith and teachings.
    For me the Catholic version - hate the sin, love the sinner - don't cut it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.