1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supplementing your income

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, May 20, 2007.

1. I'm posting this on the journalism board because I think it's more likely to get some serious responses.

After some major soul-searching for the last year or two, I'm pretty sure that I want to stay in the business for a little while at least - I'm definitely sure that I don't want to go to law school, which I know is the famous journalist's escape hatch and one I'd been pondering for a while.

That being said, the meager salary doesn't do it for me. Not with a family and soaring gas prices, etc., etc.

I'm not looking for a lecture about living within my means. I get that. I am honestly wondering of ways in which you guys have been able to steadily supplement your regular income - I've thought about selling books on Amazon.com, selling sports cards on eBay, etc., etc., etc. There's got to be some way.

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

[​IMG]

3. No, no.

I'm not looking to save more money.

I'm looking to MAKE more.

4. lono

lono Active Member

Free-lance writing.

It's a tough market to break into, but once you're established, you can do well.

5. Yeah, I was kind of thinking about that. Just seems like it's tough work right now, like anything else journalism-related.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Before this gets off track, if you write, can you freelance for other papers or magazines or do some local radio?
    You could suck it up for a couple more years and then try to land an SID gig. You could also shift beats into news and then go for a corporate communications gig or PR after a couple of years.
    If you do design, lots of freelance gigs out there and you also have corporate design jobs.
    Learn Web design, get some OTJ training from your paper and then bolt for something better.
    Best of luck.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Sorry, I misunderstood. And yes, this is a serious suggestion.

You don't have to play high stakes no-limit, but if you keep it small and play smart, you would be surprised at how much extra (easy) income you could come up with.

[​IMG]
    Bodog Poker

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Why do you have to make more money? Why not have your wife get a higher paying job?

9. lono

lono Active Member

Waylon:

Believe it or not, editors are dying for good free-lancers - but you have to find them. You aren't going to make any money doing gamers 50 miles away for $25 a pop.

You need to do a lot of research, but there's a whole world out there - web sites, trade pubs, consumer mags, etc.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest poker, but Bullwinkle beat me to it. I regularly make an extra $500 a month playing .25 to $1 poker on bodog.com. Has made paying rent a lot easier.

11. Martin_Lane

Martin_Lane Member

Funny -- I once sold sets of baseball cards that were sitting in the closet, and turned the proceeds into a new set of golf irons.

Selling books through an affiliate program of Amazon.com hasn't gotten me rich either. Although I do get a rebate on my own purchases, and that helps lower the cost of leisure reading.

I did make some extra money through Web sites, but much of that dried up some years ago.

12. Substitute teaching. In most states, you only need a high school degree and some college. The pay isn't bad and it fits nicely with most journalists' schedule.

The only downside is you have to deal with snot-nosed kids for eight hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted