1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Superstars on ABC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I want this to be a Wipeout-like guilty pleasure.

It's not working so far.

ABC Television: doing its part to get people to spend summer nights out on the town.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't mind it when Stu Scott is playing the "hype-man" for a made-for-TV event, I enjoy John Anderson on Wipeout, but this is beneath John Saunders. I wonder how long it is going to take for Jeff Kent to start trashing his teammate. And really, they should have started with a swimming relay.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I gave it about 10 seconds, until I saw Dan Cortese.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The original Superstars worked because it came out in the mid-1970s, when the term hadn't been out that long and had meaning. Now it's just silly, as someone who cuts a hole in the ceiling and has a cat peer out of it can have more of a following than most athletes or actors.

5. DanOregon

Even in a stupid show like this it's all about T.O. and the drama. He actually Lebron'ed after losing a kayak race.

The high point so far was seeing model Joanne Krupa trashing T.O. to his face "you call yourself an athlete?" and seeing the Role Model get tangled in the cargo net like TO did.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I haven't watched the episode but a friend of mine is on it. I hate to name drop, but it's amusing she's doing it.

7. maberger

maberger Member

whoever that girl with TO was...wooh, let's just say she's not nice.

8. DanOregon

An interesting group of athletes, you've got/had a head case with TO, a locker room cancer in Jeff Kent, a prima donna in Lisa Leslie, a flake in Bode Miller, a former pothead in Jennifer Capriati, and then Robert Horry, Brandi Chastain and Kristi Leskinen.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I watched bits and pieces as I was a huge Superstars fan from back in the day. I can't say I was really engaged but I did enjoy watching them incorporate Atlantis which is a tremendous resort if you like water slide typ activities. The ride they did the kayak on is tons of fun on an inner-tube.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If Joe Frazier isn't swimming, I ain't watching.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know I am dating myself but I once covered a Superstars event in Key Biscayne. I remember getting snubbed my Renaldo Neihmiah.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Can't wait to see Jeff Kent participate in the truck wash.

Draft saved Draft deleted