1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SuperSonics sold to OKC group

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WazzuGrad00, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The OKC thing is the tip of the moving iceberg (hey, shouldn't that be on the cliches thread?). Far be it from me to self-promote the column I just wrote on it (wink), but things are being set up for a LOT of NBA moves. KC has a new arena coming online in 2007. Louisville, presuming a political dustup over union involvement gets settled, should start building soon. (The KFC Bucket! 22,000 friggin' seats!) San Jose also pursued the Sonics, apparently thinking that was the only way to give the Bay Area a team capable of making the playoffs. Norfolk recently has tried to pursue just about anything and everything -- wouldn't be a shock if efforts pop up again. St. Louis comes and goes -- I guess it'll depend on what the Checketts group wants to try. Orange County interests are lusting after a team, too.

Then you have the Maloofs trying (and so far failing) to get an arena deal, the DeVos family again trying to do something about Orlando's ancient, 119-year-old (in dog years) arena, all the arena problems in Portland, the continuing saga of whether the Hornets ever return to New Orleans, and even (far-fetched right now, yes) the Grizzlies possibly in play with Heisley trying to sell his stake. And who knows what other teams will soon start crying poor? Or if, say, somebody wants to try New Jersey after the Nets move to Brooklyn, or if Seattle tries to lure Paul Allen and the Blazers up the coast?

Teams itching for new arenas, cities with new arenas itching for teams -- get ready for a LOT of stories about the stadium game and moving in the NBA.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Norfolk? Are you fucking kidding me? Hell Des Moines just built a shiny new arena. Maybe they should bid on a team. Norfolk, jesus christ on crutch who the fuck is going to move a team to Norfolk Fucking Virginia?

3. occasionally

occasionally Member

35 games in OKC, 6 games in NO in 06-07.

All 41 games and all-star weekend in NO in 07-08.

4. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

George Shinn just lost a major fall-back when the Sonics deal was executed.

Hornets to NO, SEA to OKC, and the Saints to LALA land.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If fucking Norfolk builds a fucking arena at taxpayers' expense, guarantees fucking income for the team and gets what few fucking corporations there are to jump on board, then it could get a fucking team. The Hampton Roads area has a population about the same as say, metro Milwaukee, and it would literally be the only game in town. The city has been active for years in trying to get a team, any team, so there's no telling what desperate stuff it might pull if the time is right.

Believe me, if Des Moines were just a little bigger, it may well bid on a team. It's got the new arena, and a strong business base. Hey, you never know what mid-sized town on the make is going to pull something off. Note that in about every case of an NBA and NFL team moving over the last 20 years, the teams have moved from a bigger market to a smaller -- but more lucrative -- one.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Four things may hurt Louisville's chances to land an NBA team

1. The planned arena is expected to seat anywhere from 22-24,000. (Most current NBA arenas are under 20K)

2. The University of Louisville is set to be the main tennant, drawing the revenue from the luxury boxes. Not sure how exactly (or if) an NBA team could re-sell those suites for its games.

3. Several people and groups voiced opposition about luring an NBA team here as part of the arena. Some U of L fans also have the misguided thinking that a pro team wll hurt the school's attendance. (IMO, if anything, it'll mean more access to games for local basketball fans)

4. I think David Stern is really skiddish about coming here. We had the inside track to land both the Hornets and Grizzlies and we fell flat on our faces both times. Granted the leadership has changed (though the results still seem the same), but I'm not sure that's enough to appease someone like Stern.

4a. What other teams are out there and available? Portland? Orlando?

7. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

The Norfolk TV market is about 50,000 bigger than OKC.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Would Portland give a shit if the Blazers moved?

9. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Five years ago, it would have been the end of the world. Now, I'm not so sure.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

But we've got dibs on Norfolk.

--Hampton Roads Rhinos

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

More like 10 years ago. I vividly recall SI having an article in a late December 2001 issue about how the love affair with that team was waning, with empty seats at the Rose Garden after they set the league record for sellouts at Glass Palace/Memorial for something like 12 straight seasons.

12. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

It's amazing how that loss in the Western Conference Finals has almost destroyed that franchise.

Draft saved Draft deleted