1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Superman Returns (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jun 26, 2006.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

Re: Superman Returns (possible spoilers eventually, but not tonight)

SPOILER

I liked the fact that no one ever really came out and pointed out that the kid was Lois' fiance's. But, we all know that Lois' human fallopian tubes cannot handle Superman's super sperm. Unless he uses a condom made of kyrptonite.

That just kind of ticked me off.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it yet, but I heard the end compared to the last Lord of the Rings movie... more like a series of endings that seem to go on forever.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Not really, it was just one long overdrawn ending that by the tim they finally wrapped it up it became pretty obvious. They could have cut 15 minutes right there

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's going to have to go a ways to match Aquaman's opening weekend.

5. Korgoth of Barbaria

Korgoth of Barbaria Active Member

Umm, the kid is Superman's. That was most of the ending, as well as the piano part.

Also, credit where it's due.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I thought it was a lot better than the Christopher Reeve/Gene Hackman movies (which really aren't that great, IMHO....Singer showed them a little too much reverence). Spacey was great, Routh was good, Bosworth was good, Parker Posey was good. The first big stunt in the movie (where Superman comes back in action) is amazing and quite moving.
    HOWEVER, the movie isn't as good as the "Spider-Man" movies. Just not quite enough action. It needed one big Superman ass-kicking scene at the end. And I'm not crazy about the idea of a Superkid...even though the little guy was a good actor and Routh had a nice scene with him at the end. When the do "Superman Returns Again" they need to have a villian who can go toe-to-toe with Superman in a fight (maybe put Luthor in his super suit, or introduce Brainiac or Metallo, the man with the Kryptonite heart)

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I think I'd much much rather watch MySuper ex-Girlfriend if I have to watch a movie about superheroes

8. tyler durden 71351

Well, yeah. Your wife's twin is in "My Super Ex-Girlfriend".......

9. BRoth

BRoth Member

Glad someone else got it.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD . . . . . . .

MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILERS

STOP HERE IF HAVE NOT SEEN IT YET

Saw it last night. A couple of things:

1. Nice plot hole with the Kryptonite crystal/country. If the thing really takes on the properties of Kryptonite as Mista Luthoah said, then I was waiting for Mr. Supes to drop out of the sky as he flew over it. Seems they made it this big sinister thing when the crystal was launched, then made sure Superman was on the ground before they noted its actual effects.

2. Luthor was obviously wrong when he noted that the crystal nation would give him technology that would render any attack on him useless. He built a big ugly crystally rock.

3. Since the movie ended soon after, all the hospital stuff was anti-climactic and ultimately unnecessary. The shots of him flying at the end . . .the closeup was a clear CGI. Too bad.

4. Supes and Lois consumated their relationship right after he lost his powers in Superman II. I wonder if Luthor's Kryptonite awakend the boy's gifts in this movie, since they were obviously dormant before his piano trick. Hope to see some sort of explanation of this in future films, because otherwise, the kid's either a deus ex machina to save Lois at that time, that will never have a payoff, or a tease that will never have a payoff. Ultimately, I don't think the kid worked or was necessary.

In any event, anyone who heard Lois had a kid in this one should be able to put two and two together without buying a ticket. I mean, come on.

In addition, the Kevin Smith lines verbalize an idea that has been around for years, and was depicted in a sci-fi short story years ago in which Superman's sperm literally blew off Lois' head.

- I really enjoyed it. Once the lights went down and the old music started, that was it for me. This movie had me hook, line and sinker. So many things were good about it, including the airplane sequence. The filmmkers did a great job creating situations that just kept buiolding to give Superman more people to save.

But I wouldn't have minded 10 minutes of depiction of where Superman was between movies, instead of just a few lines of dialogue.

Would like to note here that the girl who play Lois on Smallville is four years older than Ms. Bosworth, yet playing a character five years younger or so. And Ms. Durance is much cuter.

The Spider-Man 3 trailer was interesting. It's a shame the general public doesn't understand just how bad the whole black costume saga was in the comic, and just what a dumb character Venom truly is when you look at what the Spider-Man comic is all about. But I have no doubt Raimi will pull it off.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Superman II about 2/3 over on Cinemax-West.

II is generally considered the best of the Reeve movies, but watching this, just makes me shake my head. i mean, maybe Bosworth looks a little too young and dewy, but at least she doesn't look 45 years old like Margot Kidder did.

In addition to the Kryptonian Conception, probably the most imporant plot point from II: at the end, Superman does not kill General Zod, Non and Ursa (Superman never kills anybody) -- presumably he sent them back to the Phantom Zone.

With Terence Stamp still alive and reasonably hearty, I suspect the world will get another chance to...

[​IMG]

12. tyler durden 71351

No, no, no...here's what "Superman Returns Again" ought to be...Lex Luthor creates Bizzaro Superman...a messed up clone as strong as Superman. Make him a Frankenstien-type character, a big ugly thing that means well, but is kind of stupid. Have him go abduct Lois and the Super kid (because he wants to raise a family with them)...and have some big-ass fights between Superman and Bizzaro Superman. I'm talking them hitting each other over the head with fire trucks and wrecking whole city blocks. That's what I want to see.

Draft saved Draft deleted