1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Superman Returns (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Re: Superman Returns (possible spoilers eventually, but not tonight)

SPOILER

There is stock footage of Brando's Jor-El in the new film. The audio is authentic, but the visuals have obviously been CGI-remastered.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I thought Hackman was terrific as Luthor.

Almost stole the show from Reeve, who was just incredible to watch in that film, gulp, over a quarter century ago.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That has been rather widely reported ... Ebert mentions it in his (tepid, two-star) review.

4. Herbert Anchovy

OK, Henry. I don't read Ebert, sorry. Somebody told me that tidbit today and I thought it was supposed to be on the down low.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Actually, somebody on here was complaining that he gives too much away ... in that case, maybe so. I read too much stuff, anyway.

6. Herbert Anchovy

I don't know, as a moviegoer, I don't need Ebert to give me the green light. I'll usually talk to people in the office whose opinions are trustworthy and take it from there. But, yes, he often does give away too much.

Reading a review in advance of a movie just seems as silly to me as wanting to read the Sunday story/column for the game you're driving up to Big State College to watch/enjoy.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Saw it last night.
    I thought it was very good. I didn't realize how long it was untl I checked my watch, and it was almost 1, when the movie started at 10, but that includes trailers and all the credits. Heard a rumor that a teaser for the sequel would be at the end of the credits, it wasn't.
    The reaction in the theater was mixed. The people behind said, "this movie sucked." While in other parts, sporadic applause broke out at the end, and people to me left said, "that kicked the shit out of Spider-Man."
    The effects were good, the plot was good. I like how they picked up from the old movies, but ignored 3 and 4. I didn't much care for Bosworth, she seemed a little young, but I also figure this is a franchise and she'll age into it. I also liked the White Castle kid, he played a henchman, I don't think he said a word, but he made it work.
    SPOILER ALERT, but only for the fanboys ...

The thing that stirred up such a stink in II, plays a huge part in Returns. I'd almost say pivotal.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought I was going to see a brand-new movie, not a remake of the original Superman movie.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Saw it last night at a 10 p.m. jump-the-gun premiere.

1. The special effects are awesome, blowing the doors off most other superhero flicks.

2. It's much, much, much better than any of the Reeve movies.

3. It is also a little too referential to the Reeve movies. Referential and reverential, too.

4. The Brando footage, which never should have been used at all (Brando was a horrible casting choice in 1978) is thankfully limited to about 30 seconds.

5. The movie is about 15-20 minutes too long. There are a couple of redundant scenes which could have been cut.

6. Routh was fine; very reminiscent of Reeve in many moments (and visually reminiscent of Dean Cain in others).

7. Spacey was great as Lex Luthor -- completely blowing away Hackman's used-car-salesman buffoon version. His henchmen and henchwoman all need to be snuffed.

8. Bosworth was pretty good, and will grow into the role in the sequels.

Overall, I'd give it about 8/10.

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I've got to say, I was unbelievably surprised with how good this film is. Normally, you give filmmakers any more than the standard amount of time to make a film, they'll figure out a way to screw it up. This is a rare case in which they actually used the gobs of extra time and money to make it better.

Special effects, as has been noted, are tremendous. That airplane scene, you'll not find a better effects work. Not anywhere.

Routh was great. I'm sure the success of this movie and the work he did here will lead to future Superman movies. I just pray to God that they use the same formula they used here: Let him speak only when necessary. I get the feeling that if they had let the man go with a load of dialogue, he woulda screwed this one up. Thankfully, they didn't.

I don't understand the hate Spacey has received for his Luthor portrayal (Not here, but from some critics). In case no one noticed, this Luthor guy, he's the villain. Absolutely nothing wrong with playing him like one. I didn't hear anybody bitching about Willam DeFoe making his Spiderman villain too unlikeable.

I'm a Superman fan, so maybe I'm a little biased (although, I'd like to think that being a fan would make it that much harder for me to be impressed), but I'd call this the best of the superhero flicks. Really good work.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The airplane scene was great because it took into account basic physics: assuming you were Superman, you can't just grab a airliner plummeting at 600 mph by the edge of a wingtip or by a radar antenna -- it would be a hell of a job just to keep the damn thing from tearing apart as you catch it.

Oh, another good point: The kid is not cloying and annoying (well, a little, but they keep it under control). And Lois Lane's boyfriend/fiancee is not a jerk or an idiot.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'd say 99% of the special effects were phenominal. The ones that ticked me off though were some of his joy-flying scnes where it was really obvious they went total CGI for it. You could tell it wasn't him, especially in the face, and being a nit picker I found it somewhat annoying, but other than that the special effects were amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted