1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Superintendent bars public, press from hoops game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Freelance Hack, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago, but here's an update with an OUTRAGEOUS twist.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/16658751.htm

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Nice. So the hillbillies can;t keep their own in line enough to have people come to a game. Thyey make the announcements at the beginning that taunting, slurs, etc won;t be tolerated. So just eject as soon as yoou see it, and get extra security.

But ot not allow the fans and press in, makes it a much bigger story than it really was.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

Bob S., your statement is really unfair and bigoted. This sort of thing has happened in urban schools in the past.

If the superintendent and school officials feel they have to do that to control things in an exceptional circumstance, I suppose so. However, I would let the press in before I would let parents in. A sports writer is a lot less likely to cause a problem than a parent.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

If it's a game between public schools at a public school gym, doesn't the media (and, for that matter, the public) have a right to be there?

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing how keeping the media out helps the situation, but there have been cases in my state where fans were not allowed in.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Because if there are any fights, taunts or other displays of inappropriate behavior (either by the players, coaches, school staff or families) then no one will be able to report on it.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Rat-bastard race-baiting writers! Sonsabitches!

8. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Somebody at that paper should have fought that harder. The only thing they should be able to keep the newspaper out of is when they're talking about the good name and charcter of someone.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd say OK. No need to cover the rest of your games then.

10. sartrean

sartrean Member

Shit, when they lock you out of a gym, that's called a night off!

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Absolutely. This became a legal issue and the paper should have filed an injunction.

12. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Who cares. It's preps.

Draft saved Draft deleted