1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pilot, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Pilot

Pilot Active Member

Next person or organization I see calling it the "Superbowl" I'm going to run over with a tank.

Probably 75 percent of my Facebook friends call it the Superbowl, and today for the second day in a row (that I've noticed) my paper ran giant ads for sports bars or grocery stores calling it the "Superbowl". I'm having that fixed.

Really, people? I mean, really? Superbowl? Do you call it the Bcschampionshipbowl, the Rosebowl, the Fiestabowl? The Capitalonebowl? Chickfilabowl? NOOOOO.

I don't even know how one gets off typing this terribly stupid mistake, let alone doing it often enough that it's seemed to have caught on.

Sigh... We're all doomed.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Funny, I clicked on this thread with the sole intent of a two-word post:

"Super Bowl"

Are business saying "Superbowl" as a way to get around copyright infringement and not having to call it "The Big Game"?
  3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Superb Owl
  4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Better question:
    When can we finally do away with the stupid Roman numerals?
  5. Pilot

Pilot Active Member

I thought about that. If so, I at least sort of understand. Though, I still think it makes us -- my paper and our civilization -- look stupid.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's some of it. But stupidity is a bigger culprit.

Hell, the sign in front of Hooters here was "Watch the Superbowl here - Packer's vs. Steeler's."
  7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I like them. It has helped me relearn what they mean.
  8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Find out if Tyffanee likes the favorite or the underdog.
  9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Doesn't Tyffanee make The Lombardi Trophy.
  10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Don't laugh. Spell check screwed me on a high school paper about the Superb Owl once.
  11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Aren't they doing away with those after 50? I thought I read that somewhere, but I could be wrong.
  12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see what they do with L. I mean, L?? Makes me think of Laverne and Shirley, that big fancy L on Laverne's chest.

IL should also look good on a logo.
Draft saved Draft deleted