1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Superbowl XXXVI halftime concert with U2

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dude, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

It's on NFL Network if any of the brave souls still up at this hour can get it.

Normally, I don't really pay much attention to the "entertainment" factor that sports have tried to integrate these days. And I really don't see why pro sports seem to have this "responsibility" to constantly honor the victims of tragedies such as 9-11 during events that have almost nothing to do with them. (That is unless said tragedy happened in your backyard like in New Orleans and Katrina.)

But, if there's a way to do this, the NFL and U2 did it about as well as a league and entertainment entity could during the Patriots-Rams Superbowl of 2002.

Janet Jackson nonwithstanding, this might be the best melding of entertainment an sports ever. You can catch the rebroadcast in about a hour again. And again an hour after that.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

The problem I had with that is they had raised that banner with the names of the 9/11 victims, and when the band was done, the banner was made to fall down; my initial thought was that the banner falling was too reminiscient of the towers falling. I'm sure none of the people who put the thing together made that connection or saw any symbolism, but I did and it felt kinda strange watching it happen.

3. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Wow. I just saw it again and you're right pallister. That does look oddly similar. Good call.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It was intentional and powerful, I thought.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Now I gotta watch the '01 Patriots DVD tonight. One of the great "Holy Shit!" moments ever.
    I was just bummed it didn't get to the C's, for a guy I played CYO basketball with that worked in the Jersey office of Marsh & McLennan and was probably in the midst of a presentation at HQ on the 100th floor.
    Did get to see the daughter of the lawyer who did the closing on my house - she was a flight attendant, I believe on the plane with L.A. Kings scouts Ace Bailey and Mark Bavis.

Draft saved Draft deleted