1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Superbad

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DougDascenzo, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I hear he's not a bad guy. Just a bad reviewer.

2. I think it's definitely funnier. Better depends on your definition. It doesn't have a touching story really or some sort of serious plotline that comes together at the end. But from beginning to end, it's much funnier than any movie I've seen in a long time. Whereas movies like KNocked Up and Wedding Crashers and 40 Y/O Virgin are hilarious for the most part, they have breaks for being serious. This movie takes no time off from the comedy.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hmmm, makes me wonder if it is a good date movie. I am sure I will like it, though not sure about the date. Well, might as well risk it.
    Thanks.

4. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

Just got back from the AMC.

It's funny. B-plus/3 stars
    It's not as good as Knocked Up, 40YO Virgin.
    Disagreeing with the reviewers who say McLovin is the best character, I think Evan (Michael Cena) is hilarious
    Jonah Hill yells way too much
    Rogen/Hader great as the bumbling cops

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Just got back. I liked it better than Knocked Up (but maybe I need to see Knocked Up again). Many, many, many laugh out loud moments. The pictures of the dicks had me rolling. There's more of them at the end too. Not many people at the first showing, but it was a loud crowd. A few even clapped at the end, which is rare.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Oh yeah, the soundtrack kicks ass too.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've walked out of 3 movies in my life:

1) How Bad Can It Get?
    2) Love, Actually

The third one was called Superbad.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

For all the reasons I've had to doubt your sanity, none has ever topped the final two on that list.

Love Actually is one of my five favorite movies of all time. And the boys I've made watch it have liked it too.

9. Anyone know where he can purchase a new sense of humor?

10. Songbird

No one ever said I was sane :D and certainly not me.

Oh, there were a few lines that made me chuckle, but it was just bad. I left about 75 minutes into it, so maybe the final 40 got better. Just didn't do it, and I've liked almost every movie I've ever seen, which is a lot.

And Foot'scribe, I have the most juvenile sense of humor. My point being, they tried WAY TO HARD to find the lowest common denominator in crudeness. Just didn't do it for me. I mean, a girl "perioding" all over homeboy's leg while slowdancing? Just because it was the first time in cinematic history such a scene has taken place doesn't mean it's funny.

11. Well, to each their own I suppose.

Funny you mention that scene, it's the only one in the movie I absolutely did not like.

12. Songbird

The thing is, I *was* that chunky boy in high school. Not the chunky part because I was a studly soccer player; or at least was on the team. But I was that foul-mouthed, high-strung, sex-starved Jewish boy trying to get a taste of the you-know-what. I guess I didn't identify with a character that was so me, and that was a letdown.

And "George Michael" tried to hard to be, well, George Michael again.

But you're right, to each his own. I wanted to like this because the preview is what drew me to the seat.

Draft saved Draft deleted