1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl XLV was most-watched show in U.S. history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Of course it was the highest-rated TV program ever. Half the country was buried under two feet of snow and ice.

2. Crash

Crash Active Member

My girlfriend, who watched the game solely to judge the commercials, is thankful she contributed to something this big.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, it was whoever wrote that intro who "forgot." Sneaky little dodge they pulled on that one.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, it WAS the most watched Super Bowl in Canada. 17.3 million unique viewers.

And just in the Milwaukee market, more than two dozen PERCENT of TVs in use had something else on besides the game, which got an 85 share in the market (59.7 rating). Pittsburgh got a 59.7/87.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My annual pet peeve -- ESPN.com headline says "Packers' Super Bowl win sets ratings record," and I've heard a lot of other voices on TV and radio echoing the same thing. No, it didn't set a ratings record. It set a viewership record but not a ratings one. The Super Bowl ratings record is still SF-Cin in 1982 (49 rating); MASH, Who Shot J.R. and the Roots finale still rank higher than any Super Bowl.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Yeah, the host network (Fox this year) annually sends out a press release announcing a Super Bowl ratings record. The outlets that don't understand ratings just report exactly what the network feeds them. I read the Fox release this year - the actual ratings comparisons were buried pretty deep in there.

However, somehow getting over 110 million people in this country to watch the same program is extraordinary. I would be surprised if a Super Bowl ever surpassed MASH, J.R., etc...it's a pretty unfair comparison when you look at how fragmented television viewing is now with so many choices. Makes the current Super Bowl viewership even more incredible.

7. MileHigh

And as noted earlier, it's not a record. It's a U.S. record.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"A lot of people at work are asking for Sunday off. What's going on?"

Wife is incredibly intelligent, but her (understandable) ignorance on some matters tickles me sometimes.

9. MileHigh

Five highest-rated Super Bowls:
    1982: 49.1
    1983: 48.6
    1986: 48.3
    1978: 47.2
    1979: 47.1

Five highest shares:
    1976: 78
    1971: 75
    1979, 1972: 74
    1982, 1977, 1974: 73

Final episode of MASH: 60.2 rating, 77 share.
    Who shot JR: 53.3 rating, 76 share.
    Roots finale: 51.1 rating, 73 share.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Elvis on Ed Sullivan: 82.6 share.

Long live the King. :)

Oh, by the way, Super Bowl I had a 79 share, although it was split between CBS (43 share) and NBC (36).

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I wonder what was on ABC.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Heidi.

Draft saved Draft deleted