1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl XLV was most-watched show in U.S. history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Feb 7, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Half of U.S. households watched -- a 48 market-share I believe and 111 million viewers. Pretty impressive considering the amount of TVs across America which had the game on when there are hundreds of channels to choose from. NFL is king. (Don't screw it up, Goodell.)

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Actually had a 70 share, which means 70% of all televisions (actually turned on) were tuned to the Super Bowl last night. Doesn't even include the out-of-home viewing. It's amazing.
  3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I know of at least 1,250 people who didn't watch.
  4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Cold-blooded, heh
  5. spnited

spnited Active Member

And the greedy owners are on the verge of beheading the golden goose.
    BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Impressive, but it doesn't compare to the percentage of Canadians who watched the Olympic gold medal hockey game last year.

That game got an 85 share up here. Some 22 million Canadians, almost two-thirds of the country's population, were watching when Sidney Crosby scored the winning goal. Approximately 80 per cent of Canadians, 26.5 million people, watched at least some of the game.

Those numbers equate to about 205 million and 248 million Americans. The Super Bowl's getting bigger every year, but it has a looooooong way to go before it can reach those numbers.
  7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I actually have another theory. I really think the NFL might be completely unassailable. A lockout makes it even more popular. The NFL has a lockout in 2011. Entire season, gone. The 2013 Super Bowl? Watched by 200 million people. Strike that, the NFL Thursday night opener in 2012 - with a live performance by Justin Bieber!- watched by 200 million. Super Bowl: 300 million people.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If there were two dozen TV's in all of Wisconsin not tuned to the game, I'd be shocked.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There's pretty much no thread or subject here that some Canadian won't swoop in to shit on, and tell you how Canada does it better, or the Canadian version of whatever interesting thing is going on in America.

This is a thread about the Super Bowl ratings in America. Nobody here gives a fuck about how it relates to Canadian Olympic hockey.
  10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

At times, it is a struggle.

And through it all, generation after generation, we never give up.

How could we?

Can you imagine what life would be like if they didn't persevere during an era that was far from great ...

If he never asked what we could do ...

If he didn't dream ...

If they did not show the world -- in our darkest days -- that our flag was still there.

Tonight here we are united to see their journey.

Two storied franchises. One founded by a shipping clerk and the Indian Packing Company. The other named after the proud steel mills that forged this great nation.

Green Bay and Pittsburgh -- where the game of football is in their blood.

This is so much bigger than just a football game. These two teams have given us the chance for one night, not only to dream, but to believe.

This is a celebration of their journey -- of our journey.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, because no other thread on SJ ever deviates, even slightly, from the original topic.

I was just trying to clarify the difference between "most-watched telecast in TV history," according to the link, and at least one telecast I know of that actually had a higher percentage of viewers.

How's this to satisfy your America-only screed? Last night's Super Bowl is still looking up at Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show in terms of programs with the largest share of the TV audience.....for that matter, it also trails "Who Shot J.R." and the M*A*S*H finale.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You forgot about the other team being allegedly financed by horse racing winnings and originally being named after the baseball team.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted