1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl XLV running thread -- The Pack is Back and is the Champ

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 23, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Super Bowl XLV running thread

X9 Steelers, X5 Packers and not really caring what the X's turn out to be....

And the Pack is every where. I went to the first Packers-Falcons game in Atlanta this year and there had to be at least 10,000 fans wearing Packer garb -- if not more...

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I am really surprised the Packers are -2 1/2 in the early line. I'd have thought the Steelers would be favored.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Jerry is not charging anybody anything.
    It is the greedy NFL charging anyone stupid enough to pay $200 to watch TV.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Love the thought of Jerry Jones seeing anywhere from 50,000 to 80,000 Terrible Towels waving at Jerryworld for the Super Bowl.

Steelers 37, Packers 36. Roethlisberger finds Wallace for the game-winning touchdown on a 19-yard touchdown pass as time expires. Extra point wins it.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is funny to think about the two teams that used the Cowboys to become iconic NFL franchises will be playing in Dallas. The Ice Bowl and Super Bowls X and XIII are probably in the top ten of all-time NFL classic games.
    Throw in the Greatest Game Ever Played, the Miami-Chargers OT playoff game, and you have the Founding Fathers of NFL Films.

6. John Casper Jr.

John Casper Jr. New Member

The Packers travel well because it's easier to get tickets to away games than it is at Lambeau Field. Companies will put together packages for away games at teams that don't usually sell out, such as the Lions.

Wisconsinites as a whole travel extremely well. There were 70,000 Badgers fans at the Rose Bowl this year.

This has to be the best matchup the ticket scalpers could have hoped for.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This is usually the best tiume of year to stay away from anything sports media-related. Nothing matches Super Bowl hype for hyperbole and glossing things over.

Two large, rabid fanbases. Two fanbases that enjoy talking about how great they are almost as much as the media do.

A place that calls itself "Titletown!!!!" against a place that actually IS Titletown.

(No, prehistory - before the Super Bowl - doesn't count, Packers fans. Winning NFL titles way back when no one cared - kind of like the Celtics in the NBA - doesn't mean a thing).

Some of the more annoying Steelers fans among my friends gleefully tell me that "They win the Super Bowl once every 7.5 years!!!!!" Many refuse to acknowledge the whole 25-year title drought and the fact the quarterback is a rapist, but hey, Baltimore fans refuse to acknowledge that Ray Lewis is a murderer, so you guys all have that in common.

The whole "Titletown!!!!" BS forgets the Pack's whole 25-season playoff drought, with only one appearance (1972) in a non-strike year between 1967-1993. Meanwhile, the Packers and Aaron Rodgers, with a win, will truly minimize the legacy of Saint Brett (who lost Super Bowl MVP to Desmond Howard that year). That would be awesome.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I don't care what happens as long as AAron rodgers throws for 1,000 yards and ten touchdowns and the Steelers turn the ball over ten times and don't score. . .

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The only possible good thing I could have seen coming from the Jets winning tonight was the fact that Favre would have had to watch TWO of his teams in the Super Bowl while sitting at home having been all but forced into retirement by one of the worst seasons of any future hall-of-fame QB.

Now? Well, now all we can hope for is Aaron Rodgers throws for a bunch of TDs, gets named MVP, gets a street named after him in Green Bay and Favre is forgotten in the eyes of those in green and yellow.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

OK, accepting your premise, how many of the Yankees World Series titles don't count?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm sure we'll get some Bus Cook-planted story on the internets about Aaron Rodgers farting in church any minute now.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The Packers have a chance to be the first franchise to win a Super Bowl with three compelely different sets of players: Starr's, Favre's and Rodgers'.

Pittsburgh has only won with Bradshaw's and Roethlisberger's, and the Cowboys only won with Staubach's and Aikman's. Giants, Colts and Raiders are the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted