1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl XLIII Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Good Doctor, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Jim Plunkett is NOT in the HOF.
    I think you have to do more than win two Super Bowls.
    Don't aks me what it is - but Warner has done it.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If Warren Moon, the king of the "Guys Who Have Great Stats Because They Kept Hanging Around" group, is in the Pro Football HOF, why can't you put in Warner, a QB with 2 MVPs, 3 Super Bowl appearances and he did it with two of the worst franchises (Rams, Cardinals) in recent NFL history.

How much value in post-season success do you want to include in the HOF? Steve Young, for his flashy QB rating, lost 3 NFC Title Games...2 of them at home! He only won one. AND he had Jerry Rice to throw to.

Warner is 8-2 in the post-season. 8-2! He's almost like the Robert Horry of Quarterbacks.

Peyton Manning is a HOF'er right? Well, I don't see him approaching a second SB anytime soon. At this point, Manning's legacy is throwing 5 or 6 TDs against a team like Cincy or Detroit in October.

Favre holds all of the longevity records but, for most of the last 10 years, he has been average to above average. He only made the SB when he had a solid coach and solid cast around him.

His 2002-2007 funk was injury-induced, Martz-induced, Eli Manning-#1 pick-induced, Denny Green-induced. Heck, he dealt with a busted claw and two of the NFL's Mad Scientists (Martz, Green) and still found a way to get back to the SB.

There are some QBs who didn't put up great numbers but all they did was win big games. Montana. Aikman. Brady. I'd say it's safe to add Warner to that -- even if a slightly lower level.

Warner ALWAYS shows up in the playoffs. That has to have some HOF value.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Warner is only the second QB to be in the Super Bowl with different teams. There is only one NFL QB who won championships with different teams-Norm Van Brocklin. He is in the Hall. Cards win Feb. 1, so is Warner.
    I think he's in if they lose, too. Maybe Warner had only three great seasons, but 1999 is one of the greatest seasons any quarterback ever had.
    But I buried my lede. Back in 2001, the Pats played the Rams in a regular season game in Foxboro, blitzed Warner on nearly every down, and he ate their lunch. Last game the Pats lost that season.
    After the game, Belichick told team, "Blame me. Game plan sucked. We won't be doing that again." They won SB XXXVI by beating the snot out of Rams' receivers and Marshall Faulk on every play. Today, they'd see more flags than there will be at the inauguration.
    Moral of the story: As the Eagles can testify, it ain't easy to blitz Warner. And good as the Steelers' pass defense is (one of the best I can remember seeing), manning up on those receivers ain't easy, either.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If Pittsburgh can get to Warner by rushing four or five players and not committing Farrior or Polamalu to blitzing, then Arizona is in trouble.

If Ward is hurt and cannot play, though, Pittsburgh is in a lot of trouble.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hey did you guys know Jerome Bettis is from Detroit?

6. 93Devil

They have played Romo, Manning, Rivers, Andre Johnson, the Patriots, the Giants, McNabb...

Who else do they need to play other than Arizona?

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Also, I think Arizona will cover it and win, straight up.

31-27 Cardinals.

Warner will be the deciding factor, in that he'll be playing in warm weather and he is a Big Game QB.

8. 93Devil

So what great passing offenses in the NFL has Pittsburgh not played other than Arizona?

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The key to the game is the Cardinals ability to protect Warner.

If they can -- he can pick apart the secondary of the Steelers because they aren't very good.

Most teams can't deal with that blitz, though, which is why the secondary is rarely challenged.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The thing about it is this -- they played against big-time quarterbacks in Manning, Manning and McNabb and lost all three games.

They did beat the Chargers, but so did eight other teams.

But this illustrates what I have said all along -- that the NFL sucks right now and it sucks because there are so few legitimate quarterbacks out there.

The Cardinals happen to have one who is playing at a very high level.

11. 93Devil

You are right.

For just about my entire life, teams that could throw against Pittsburgh, could beat Pittsburgh.

If you try running through them, you most likely will lose.

Warner also averages about a fumble per game for his career, so he might be due. Roethlisberger is also due for one of his four-pick games as well.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

S.A. Express News called Warner its "Freak of the Week" and meant it in glowing terms sort of way.
    This guy is headed to the Hall of Fame. He's dynamite.
    And so is Roethlisberger.
    Should be a great clash of QBs in the Super Bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted