1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl XLIII Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Good Doctor, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't like this matchup for Pittsburgh. I think Fitzgerald and Boldin will have big games. And Ward's knee might be the key to it all.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If they get Warner's jersey dirty, they should win.

If they cannot pressure him, then Arizona could win it.

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I heard something before the game that the Steelers would be 8-10 point favorites against the Cardinals. That seems a bit high; though I guess it could open there and come back down as people then take the Cardinals.

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

You can add Bob Griese to that list. He never had to do much because of the great running game and defense he played with, but he's in the hall because he started three Super Bowls and won two.

To be fair to Namath, that Super Bowl was a very important event for the league. Without it, the merger might never happen, and the NFL might not be what it is today.

Bradshaw was much better during the Steelers' last two championship years, as Noll let him do more. Plus he was the starting QB of four Super Bowl winning teams.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

I'd agree with the rest of you guys.
    Sorry, Spnited, I'd not be that quick to dismiss Warner.
    I'd say he's on the bubble, if anything.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Not to split hairs, but the merger had already happened by the time the Namath Super Bowl was played. Now if you want to make the argument that the NFL-AFL would have never happened except that football's marquee player was in New York, not playing for the Giants, then you're on firmer ground.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We'll find out just how good that secondary really is. Fitzgerald is a really tough matchup. They tend to have trouble on jump balls.

I agree that Ward's health is going to be huge. The Steelers can't just rely on the defense, no matter how good it is.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

A friend of mine at Heinz says the word there is Ward will not be able to play in 2 weeks, anyone else can confirm this?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is the opposite of what Ward himself said after the game.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Warner has the third highest QB rating (93.8 ) and second highest completion percentage (65.7) ever.

I'd say he's got more than a shot.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

warner definitely has a shot. and he's a shoo-in if cards pull off the upset.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Young was a backup for four years. Not half his career.

Warner has had a memorable career, not a great great one.

Draft saved Draft deleted