1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl XLII, against the spread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 26, 2008.

?

Who will cover?

1. Patriots -12.5

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Giants +12.5

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Even I'm smart enough to know to just drop back and use my laser rocket arm to quickly get the ball to Moss, Welker, Stallworth, or Faulk, and let them do their thing. That line will have my back, and I'll be going to Disney Land.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

How many consecutive games have the Pats not covered?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would take the Giants with all bets. But then again, my gambling history outside fantasy sports is rather limited/nonexistent.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Were we to see Manning injured (something that hasn't happened his entire college and pro career, me thinks) we'd get Lorenzen and/or Wright.
    Those 2 former SEC-QBs always pow-wow with Manning and Gilbride on the sidelines and I wonder how they'd perform.
    Pats would, I'm guessing, cover if we saw Manning go down.

Come to think of it, Manning AND Brady have been injury free for most of their careers.
    If everyone's healthy, I'm taking the Giants plus the near-2 TDs

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sure, but if Brady's hobbled even the slightest bit -- I still wonder if the whole thing is a damn ruse -- against that pass rush ... oof.

Simon's right, it's looking really good for Big Blue to cover.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Pats have covered the number I think once in the last eight games. After they were on fire ATS in the first 8-10 games of the season, Vegas put their spreads through the roof and they haven't moved since.

I loved Jeff Haney's column in the Vegas Sun about prop-betting the Super Bowl...put the big cash out for the small payday on the SB not going overtime. That bet's only won every single year, of course, and tourists won't touch it because of the big bankroll exposure. (I know, since all us journalists have $1200 lying around to win $100...)

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I think the Giants cover, simply because the Patriots are not playing the style of football they were playing earlier this season. They don't quite blow out opponents anymore and are playing more like their SB winning teams from a few years back when they never blew teams out but won nearly every game anyway.

Their offense has evolved -- I think they could still toss the 70-yard bombs, but have decided to go with a more varied, grueling, postseason-proven offense led by Brady's pinpoint accuracy, the offensive line's physical domiance, and Maroney's much improved rushing attack. However, I do expect Brady to test the banged up Giants secondary with a few deep passes to Moss and/or Stallworth to mix it up in the Super Bowl.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Those people have just... and I mean JUST missed the bullet to the skull in XXX, XXXII, XXXIV, XXXVI and XXXVIII.

Definitely not advice to take going forward.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Isn't "Gimme a Grand on the Giants" from "Guys and Dolls"?

It should have been.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Here are the prop bets for the Super Bowl.

http://www.pylonpicks.com/2008superbowlpropbets.htm

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

All it tells you is that the guys setting the line do a good job of getting people to bet on both sides of it, making all the bets a wash. The houses are built by the juice, not the bets.

12. I got goosebumps reading this.

Draft saved Draft deleted