1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl winner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDJournalist, Aug 7, 2013.

?

Who wins the Super Bowl this year?

1. Arizona Cardinals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Atlanta Falcons

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. Baltimore Ravens

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. Buffalo Bills

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. Carolina Panthers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Chicago Bears

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Cincinnati Bengals

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. Cleveland Browns

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  9. Dallas Cowboys

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. Detroit Lions

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  11. Green Bay Packers

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  12. Houston Texans

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  13. Indianapolis Colts

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  14. Jacksonville Jaguars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Kansas City Chiefs

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  16. Miami Dolphins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Minnesota Vikings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. New England Patriots

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  19. New Orleans Saints

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  20. New York Giants

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  21. New York Jets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. Oakland Raiders

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. Philadelphia Eagles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. Pittsburgh Steelers

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  25. San Diego Chargers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  26. San Francisco 49ers

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  27. Seattle Seahawks

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  28. St. Louis Rams

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  29. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  30. Tennessee Titans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  31. Washington Redskins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  32. Denver Broncos

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Lions-Browns Super Bowl ......

...... in the year 2088.

2. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

i find it curious that no one so far has picked the texans. not that i did--I chose the 49ers—but the texans would be my second alternate, at worst. certainly houston is a strong favorite to take its division (I think the Colts slide back). i guess no one trusts schaub to win three-or-four playoff games in a row.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Texans should go 5-1 at worst in division. No worse than a split with the NFC West. 3-1 vs. the AFC West. Even if they go 0-2 vs. the Ravens, and Patriots. That's 10-6. If they do worse than that, they really don't belong in the discussion against the schedule. If they do one game better they could be top seed in the conference.

You can't learn anything from a preseason game, but they can make you think. Like how do the Falcons expect to challenge for a Super Bowl if Matt Ryan goes down? Figure they would have someone who has at least won one game as a starting qb behind him.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Comparing Dalton to Brady right now is just silly. He hasn't shown he can get anywhere close to that level.

I know his overall numbers improved slightly, but I was more impressed with him as a rookie. I didn't think he progressed much at all in his second season.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How do most teams expect to compete for a Super Bowl if their starting QB goes down?

Off the top of my head, Green Bay, Giants, Seahawks, Bears, 49ers, Saints, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Bengals, Broncos. Which back up QB is leading any of those teams to a title.

6. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

The Giants have David Carr, who has won a Super Bowl.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's been done, but mostly you need a guy who can "eat innings" (not expecting a Tom Brady-like performance or Hostettler) - more someone who can manage a game and let the players around him do their thing and hope that's good enough. A McNown, a Jason Campbell, a Tarvaris Jackson...they won't win you a game, but hopefully they won't cost you one.
    Mostly you want someone who can at least keep a winning team playing .500 while a starter is out.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You're right, no doubt Carr and freakin Tavaris Jackson are leading teams to the Super Bowl.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

They looked pretty good tonight, though I'm a bit biased since my niece is married to one of their better players.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Burfict?

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It really surprises me that teams don't invest more in the backup. I know there is only so much talent out there, but drafting and developing someone to fill in for the 1-2 games you usually lose your starter for seems like a sound investment. People laughed at the Redskins for drafting Cousins, but if Cousins can get them 1-2 wins every year when RGIII is down, he is worth every penny and the high draft pick.

It's also one of the reasons I was praying the Steelers drafted Wilson last year.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm not comparing Dalton to Brady *now* and I know that's not what you said. And I'm not saying his career will blossom like Brady's.

What I *am* doing is comparing numbers from their first 2 seasons, which are all but similar, including 2 playoff appearances.

Brady was 9-7 as a starter his second season after going 11-3 as a rookie. The 9-7 team made a playoff run then upset one of the greatest offensive explosions of any generation. He was superb against the Raiders in the first game then did a decent job managing the final 2 games (only 28 completions and 260 yards -- but no picks), and he got a ring.

Dalton has started 2 playoff games and has thrown 0 TD passes and 4 picks. In that regard he's no Tom Brady.

Shit, if we go by playoff wins Mark Sanchez is one of the 40 best quarterbacks, ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted