1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl week- should I bother

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ColdCat, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I'd go. This could very well be the only time the Super Bowl is in Indy. Might as well experience everything.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Well, if some people are going to this...I could be persuaded to go for a day or two. Maybe we should organize a meetup for SportsJournalists.com-ers? Coldcat...I'm calling dibs on your couch!

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is a very good point...

4. Mizzougrad96

The other thing that just sucks the life out of covering the Super Bowl is almost no matter where you are (New Orleans may be the exception) is that everybody seems to be bitching about the weather. It doesn't matter if it's Miami, San Diego, Atlanta ... I heard how it was in Dallas last year...

Indy is a great place to hold a Super Bowl. There are tons of hotels, restaurants all within walking distance from the stadium. You don't need a car. I'm not saying Indy is like New Orleans, but these are probably the only two places where you wouldn't need a car.

But the weather won't be 60 degrees, so everybody will be bitching and moaning.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I've never gotten to go to an event of this scale (mostly because I've noticed that events like this don't normally come to BFE Kansas) but as I now only live 45 minutes from Indy, I'll be up there at some point. Plus, there are some of my colleagues working for the committee and I want to see what they've been talking about.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I was a few hours' drive from the Super Bowl when the Bears went. I initially had the idea to go to Miami just to be around the game. Given how things turned out (not to mention the weather), had I followed through, it would have been a top 10 shitty day, capped off by the longest drive of my life.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I makes sense, but so often the experience of attending an event like this seems to be negative if you get the perspective from journalists who see so much from the media side and not the fan side.

IF I were to ever get married again, I plan to spend my honeymoon at the Super Bowl. The wedding will take place the weekend of the Pro Bowl.

Going to one and spending the week leaving up to it in the city is something I truly want to do before I die.

As a matter of fact, since New Orleans is so close, I am already making plans to just go to the city next year and be there for that one.

ColdCat, it sounds like you talked yourself out of going in your initial post. It just doesn't sound too much like your heart is in it. If not, you probably wouldn't enjoy it too much.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It involves the Giants. They are from New York.
    Run away. You've get the overblown hype and never have to leave your couch.

9. Mizzougrad96

I would be in favor of having the game in New Orleans every year.

No other city is better equipped to handle it.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Miami is also an excellent Super Bowl location, as is San Diego (except for the stadium). But as a big eater, I too would be happy with a permanent siting in New Orleans.
    If Candlestick wasn't so off the charts horrible, San Francisco would be OK. And frankly, that's about it. The other NFL cities are just not good venues, either due to chancy weather (see, Dallas), winter weather (see all cities north of mid-Georgia) or general lack of amenities. Hotel rooms in Indy, or even near Indy, are a joke. Jacksonville just wasn't big enough. Phoenix is a wretched place. Etc.

11. Mizzougrad96

The problem with Miami is that everything gets so spread out. This is in Miami, this is in Lauderdale, so on and so forth or at least it was the two times I covered a Super Bowl there...

12. Mizzougrad96

I remember the Houston Super Bowl being run far better than any of the others I went to.

Draft saved Draft deleted