1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl week- should I bother

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ColdCat, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

The Super Bowl is about an hour from where I live and they have all the standard fan-centric things to do.
    Should I bother heading down to Indianapolis for it? I thought it might be worth it to do just once. It might be worth the experience.
    But on the other hand traffic is going to be terrible, everything is expensive, and I'm not sure I want to pay what little money I have on it or waste another limited resource - my one day off a week.
    So is it worth it?

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Just to find a $25 parking space, stand around and buy $8 beers and hang out with thousands of others wearing team jerseys? Sounds like a blast.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

If you have no emotional investment in either team, I'd say the only thing that would be "worth" it is the NFL Experience, but even that might not be worth it if you say funds are limited to begin with.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I live a few hours away and I'm going. I also have a house to stay at, though. I look at it as a chance to hang out in a city where something fun is going on. Like Mardi Gras or something. It'll be a good time.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I went to the SB a few years ago as part fan, part employee .... it was OK, nothing great. Lots of parties and gatherings, and ESPN everywhere. To me, not worth all the hoopla. But the people watching can be great.

6. Dick Whitman

I imagine it will be similar in atmosphere to the Final Four or a major bowl game, which I always enjoy.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unfortunately, not similar to either... The Final Four may be one of the best run events in the country. It's crazy and hectic, but it's still fun. Bowl games are pretty mellow.

The Super Bowl is one giant clusterfuck. The only think that is comparable is the Olympics.

It's worth experiencing once just so you know you're not missing anything if you never do it again.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Agree completely with Mizzou, it's nothing like a college event. The bowl games and Final Four are really about the fans, it's not celebrity-driven. Super Bowl Week draws people who buy into the hype and go looking for random celebs and players and some big party. All of which are there, but nowhere those fans will ever see. So you just see more fans trying to hide their bored disappointment.

On the other hand, if you have some good connections and can into a couple of decent sponsor parties, or the big NFL bash, go.

9. Dick Whitman

More or less I'm just curious to see how my home state capital city dresses up for the event. Plus, it's an excuse to see friends.

10. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Mizzou nailed this one! Amen and AMEN!!!

11. Mizzougrad96

For me, the most frustrating events that I ever had to cover were the Super Bowl and Olympics. Dealing with foreign media can be a nightmare, especially if they're in the media room screaming like European soccer fans while watching their country in an event on TV.

But there is nothing worse than Super Bowl media day. When you're trying to get information from somebody because you're writing a 30-inch feature on them for the next day and someone asks them who their favorite Desperate Housewife is, or the Japanese media walking around asking NFL players about Ichiro, or stuff like that, it's enough to make your head explode.

12. Mizzougrad96

If you want to see friends who cover the NFL in Indy, come to the combine in a month or so...

That was always my favorite event to cover because you can get your work done early and then hit the town with the other writers afterwards...

Draft saved Draft deleted